Note to self: long brads...

Art Mulder

Note to self: Next time, think twice about brad length when loading up the nail gun to attach the back onto your nice bookcase that you've been building. Yes, the shelves are 9" wide, so the brad length really shouldn't be an issued. But don't forget that the top crosspiece - you know, the one under the top, that is NOT a shelf? That one is only 3/4" thick. So choosing 1-1/4" brads, to attach a 3/8" thick back... well, you do the math.

:doh: :( :doh: :( :doh: :( :doh:

Sigh.

Yeah, that was a good time to close the shop an go sit on the couch with the kids and watch some TV... :thumb:

Fortunately, it was easy to fix. I bent over all the brad where they blew through, and planed a piece of stock to 1/8" thick and glued it over top of the entire trim piece.

Problem solved.

What????? You mean I'm not the ONLY one who has done something like that? :rofl:

A couple of days ago, I was putting a couple of pieces of MDF together for a little utility thingy. Grabbed a handful of #8x3/4" screws, drilled a pilot hole, ran the first screw in and it didn't attach the two pieces. Went back and got some 1-3/4" screws that worked much better on joining the two pieces of 3/4" material. :huh::dunno::eek:

can't even remember how many times i have done that art...too many....it's painful to think of.

it's always in a very obvious area too...:doh:

good fix, good idea to go chill on the couch as well.

Art : I can tell you that if you screw up enough you'll get where you remember about the lenght of the brad your using .:doh:.......I know .........Marshall ........:thumb:

Yeah, but did you have your fingers hanging over and get BAM, oh no, nailed again!:rofl::rofl:

I was so excited the first time I got that little porter cable red unit with the 3 guns. I never owned a pneumatic tool in my life.
Id say around 2 weeks after I got it, I made the stupid mistake of holding an end of 2x4 at the end of it where I was shooting in a 2.5 incher.
Ofcourse, I shot it in crooked, and the nail shot 1/8 of an inch into my finger.
It smarts, when you use lack of smarts.
Didnt realize how powerful that little sucker is.(I hid the injury from my family, didnt want them to think I was an idiot, was actually a bit embarrassed I did something so careless)

I was so excited the first time I got that little porter cable red unit with the 3 guns. I never owned a pneumatic tool in my life.
Id say around 2 weeks after I got it, I made the stupid mistake of holding an end of 2x4 at the end of it where I was shooting in a 2.5 incher.
Ofcourse, I shot it in crooked, and the nail shot 1/8 of an inch into my finger.
It smarts, when you use lack of smarts.
Didnt realize how powerful that little sucker is.(I hid the injury from my family, didnt want them to think I was an idiot, was actually a bit embarrassed I did something so careless)
I did the same thing with my pinner.
Was instantly reminded of the Red Ryder BB Gun - "You'll shoot your eye out!" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

When things like that happens, it never happens where no one can see it. It's always right up front for the whole world to see. Then you can think of so many different ways you should have done it. Glad you were able to fix it so any one else would think that was all in the original plan:rofl::rofl::dunno:

I did the same thing with my pinner.
Was instantly reminded of the Red Ryder BB Gun - "You'll shoot your eye out!" :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Hey Allen and Rennie isnt this the reason woodworkers like to work alone. I do most of these things when my son is with me and he says "Smart dad real smart" in typical teenager attitude fashion. Thats when the whole working together thing breaks down into chaos.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey Allen and Rennie isnt this the reason woodworkers like to work alone. I do most of these things when my son is with me and he says "Smart dad real smart" in typical teenager attitude fashion. Thats when the whole working together thing breaks down into chaos.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Fortunately all mine are grown and gone - no witnesses. :rofl:
However.... the LOML kinda makes up for the missing kids. When I had my mishap with the pinner it had taken a right turn inside the wood and came out the side, through the end of my thumb, and hit the underside of the fingernail pushing my thumb away from the wood.:eek: Had it not been for my thumb jumping off the wood I might never have known. Real small hole them pinners make!:rofl:

Atleast you where not 20' up on a roof and nailed your foot to the roof. My freind did this and they had to cut the ply under his foot to get him down.:doh:

Been there too. I gotta invent some auto-length-adjust brads . . . I'll get to that right after I build the "Jetsons" push-button-fold-up-car.

Happened to me One time (I'm not real smart but I am a fast learner) I got the blowout and a puncture wound all in the same single shot. POW! followed by OH! and a subsequent list of other adjectives and Verbs. I pack a whole gauntlet of sizes when I do power nailing and brads and staples.