Big day, made it over a big hurdle

Thanx ya'all.

Working 6-7 day weeks for many many years doesnt seem as bad now as it did when I was doing it.

Ill probably wait a few years, then purchase something in Florida, in preparation for our retirement. My wife is undecided, waiting to know where my kids will end up first. (me, all I need is 300-500 sq feet of space, a few electric lines, and a bathrooom, and Id like to move to a warm weather year round climate)

Thanx ya'all.

Working 6-7 day weeks for many many years doesnt seem as bad now as it did when I was doing it.

Ill probably wait a few years, then purchase something in Florida, in preparation for our retirement. My wife is undecided, waiting to know where my kids will end up first. (me, all I need is 300-500 sq feet of space, a few electric lines, and a bathrooom, and Id like to move to a warm weather year round climate)
I lived in Florida for a bunch of years. I wouldn't say you have warm weather year round. You have warm weather for maybe three months and the other nine are miserably HOT. You can't wear anything more than shorts and a t-shirt and even then, if you go outside for more than 15 minutes, you're soaking wet with sweat.

Then, when the sun sets and you think it's going to cool off enough to go outside, the "no-see-ums" come out and eat you alive, driving you back into the house.

No, Florida living is not living to me. That's why the snow birds only come down for the few, precious "warm" months. They're smart enough not to live there all year round.

Before you sell your house, go rent for a summer in Florida and then decide.

Congratulations on paying off your house.

Mike

Last edited:
I hear ya. But Im having alot of trouble dealing with the winters these days.
My wife has always hated the cold.
All my siblings live in south florida, from Miami up thru Boyton, West palm.
I think it would be great if we all could spend our retired years seeing each other more.

I agree with Mike. I have worked in Florida several times on projects. If I was to live there, it would not be the southern part. Someplace north of Tampa by an hour or two. A lot cheaper up there too! But I never will, because I like the change in seasons and don't mind winter. If sun was not too important to you, you could move to the Pacific Northwest. During the winter we do not see much of it! If you really need the sun, but can not stand the humidity then the Southwest is the place for you!

If you really need the sun, but can not stand the humidity then the Southwest is the place for you!

And that's a great big DITTO!! I grew up in humidity (west Tennessee near the river) and lived in it for years, until a little over 15 years ago when we moved to New Mexico. I've lived in Tennessee, Maryland, Virginia, and California before moving here, and all of those places were so humid that it was almost unbearable: summers so bad that it was like trying to breathe through a wet rag; winters so bad that the cold just seeps in around your bones and you stay cold from October to April.

We do have our share of cold weather, for example, it's only about 45 today, and we have some cold weather too, but the humidity is so low (usually not much over 30%), that you don't feel the cold (or the heat) nearly as much. As stated, I've lived here over 15 years and I can count on the fingers of my two hands the number of times I've worn a coat any heavier than a wool blazer. It even might be worth a trip to check it out!!

I agree with Mike. I have worked in Florida several times on projects. If I was to live there, it would not be the southern part. Someplace north of Tampa by an hour or two. A lot cheaper up there too! But I never will, because I like the change in seasons and don't mind winter. If sun was not too important to you, you could move to the Pacific Northwest. During the winter we do not see much of it! If you really need the sun, but can not stand the humidity then the Southwest is the place for you!
Yep, I live in southern California now and it's like Paradise compared to Florida.

Mike

And that's a great big DITTO!! I grew up in humidity (west Tennessee near the river) and lived in it for years, until a little over 15 years ago when we moved to New Mexico. I've lived in Tennessee, Maryland, Virginia, and California before moving here, and all of those places were so humid that it was almost unbearable: summers so bad that it was like trying to breathe through a wet rag; winters so bad that the cold just seeps in around your bones and you stay cold from October to April.

We do have our share of cold weather, for example, it's only about 45 today, and we have some cold weather too, but the humidity is so low (usually not much over 30%), that you don't feel the cold (or the heat) nearly as much. As stated, I've lived here over 15 years and I can count on the fingers of my two hands the number of times I've worn a coat any heavier than a wool blazer. It even might be worth a trip to check it out!!

as I mentioned before My sister lived in Albequerque for a few years, and became a balloon chaser on weekends. She absolutely loved living there.
Im just thinking more or where my family will reside once we all get older.
For 20 years, my sisters and brothers live in florida, an were the only ones left up here.It would be nice.

My wife is trying to kill me with joy.

My daughters tuition bill installments will be done this March. Not a huge bill, but still one I have to pay each month.

Now if she figures out a way I can stop paying income tax, now that will be a thriller.

Tradition

Nantucket Island, which is renowned for the exploits of its whaling fleet, gave rise to a curious ivory medal in its early days. The medal is called a Nantucket mortgage button and commemorates not valor, but thrift.

One of the odd customs was that when a mortgage was paid off, the papers were burned. A hole was carved in the main newel post at the bottom of the home's staircase and the ashes were interred into the hole. An ivory button, plain and non-engraved, sealed the hole.

If a home did not have a newel post, the ashes and mortgage button were placed in some other conspicuous part of the home - usually the mantel above the fireplace.

Today the buttons can be seen in many Nantucket homes, but their existence is now more a matter of custom than of fiscal security.