I just Might...

Ned Bulken

Make it out to the shop tonight after work. We've got that cold snap coming up, but it's supposed to just clear freezing today, I'm going to ask the LOML to plug in and turn on my electric radiator under the TS wing, which should at least warm that up enough so that by the time I get home I can cut some boards for some cutting boards and glue them up. Then if I have time/energy I might even get a couple of bowls going on the lathe, we'll have to see. It is going to get really Nasty for the next few days, however. so this is going to be my 'weekend' as I'm trading tomorrow for Saturday when the weather is supposed to be better.

Pretty cold (for us) today, about 23 degrees this a.m. and holding. I can heat the shop but go through a 20 pound tank of propane with only about four hours use. That can get expensive.

Yeah, it's coming your way, Ned!

It's snowing (again) here right now, and the temp is dropping like a stone... Supposed to go down to -1° by tomorrow morning, and only up to 10° tomorrow, then back down to -8° tomorrow night.

We got hammered with 10½" of snow over the weekend, and it hasn't gotten UP to the freeze level in over a week. SInce, generally, Syracuse gets it worse than we do, 'm sure you'll get even more snow, and be even colder.

All I can say about that is "Better you than me!" :rofl::rofl:

I just 'broke down' and bought a new wool hat, a pair of gloves (sock monster ate my old ones) and a full set of thermal underwear, not the cheapo white waffle, but the heavy duty 'under armor' style. After looking around at the big boxes & not finding what I want I cut to the chase and hit Herb Phillipson's, local army/navy store who Know from cold weather gear and stock the good stuff. Most of it was on sale too!

And on the other side of the continent, we've got highs in the mid 80s, and lows dipping all the way down into the mid 50s. Brrr. (Actually, I think that's messed up. I like having seasons.)

Are you guys kidding? I'm tickled pink about the temp's. We're supposed to to have nightime lows of -17-20c for the next 4 days. I'm going to be out there tonight (and probably the next three evenings) laying down a nice solid rink for my kids.

You get a nice solid base down, and it'll stand the occasional above-freezing day with no troubles, and the kids will have a place to burn off some energy instead of bouncing off the walls inside.

...art

if you pack a good layer of snow down before you flood, you will have the nice white colored ice, also, if you're putting down lines, that is the time to do it, then flood. sound advice from my dad who has 25 yrs of experience in flooding rinks at the local playground.

All this talk of cold weather just makes me shudder - or is that shiver...

If I could afford it and had my way, I'd be in Belize or Costa Rica or Roatan island where I could work barefooted, in shorts and a t-shirt (if I wanted to be dressed formal) :D:D

Are you guys kidding? I'm tickled pink about the temp's. We're supposed to to have nightime lows of -17-20c for the next 4 days. I'm going to be out there tonight (and probably the next three evenings) laying down a nice solid rink for my kids.

You get a nice solid base down, and it'll stand the occasional above-freezing day with no troubles, and the kids will have a place to burn off some energy instead of bouncing off the walls inside.

...art

That's only about -1°F, so we're talking about the same general temps. Longrange forecast says we won't be above freezing here for at least the next two weeks, so I doubt you will be either.

Ought to make for some pretty good hockey practice. How big's the rink gonna be?

After our two weeks plus of snow storms and then our massive week of rains and floods, we are back to your seasonal weather; highs in the mid forties and lows in the mid thirties. It only takes firing up the kerosene heater for a while to make the shop very comfortable to work. I feel for those of you in the more extreme areas of the country...like Vaughn.:D

Seriously, I believe that I will be insulating the roof/ceiling in my shop this weekend which should help even more in minimizing any discomfort. I believe that if I lived where some of you are I would definitely winterize my shop, because the winter seems to be that time of year I have the most time to devote to woodworking. Seems like when the climate or season is better there is more demand on your free time.

When you are out there tonight Ned, keep thinking about next winter when your shop will be complete and you will be warm and snug as you work.

Last edited:
After our two weeks plus of snow storms and then our massive week of rains and floods, we are back to your seasonal weather; highs in the mid forties and lows in the mid thirties. It only takes firing up the propane heater for a while to make the shop very comfortable to work. I feel for those of you in the more extreme areas of the country...like Vaughn.:D

Seriously, I believe that I will be insulating the roof/ceiling in my shop this weekend which should help even more in minimizing any discomfort. I believe that if I lived where some of you are I would definitely winterize my shop, because the winter seems to be that time of year I have the most time to devote to woodworking. Seems like when the climate or season is better there is more demand on your free time.

When you are out there tonight Ned, keep thinking about next winter when your shop will be complete and you will be warm and snug as you work.

Oh I will be. I'm 'only' going out there because I can't stand seeing it idle for too long, and I've not been out in a week or more. (beyond the obvious, that I want to try out the new chuck and get cracking on projects...)

All this talk of below freezing temps got me curious as to what our weather was (statisticaly, anyway.) Sun is shining now and it's nice out. I've been trimming grass.

Honolulu, Hawaii :cool:
78°F
RealFeel®
83°F
Winds: SSW
at 10mph
Partly Sunny :thumb:
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 67° F Pressure: 30.01 in
Visibility: 10 Miles Tonight
Low: 70°F :)
RealFeel®: 71°F
Sunset: 6:09 PM Today
High: 80°F :wave:
RealFeel®: 87°F
Sunrise: 7:12 AM

Sorry, I just had to do it,,,LOL :rofl:

Aloha, Tony

if you pack a good layer of snow down before you flood, you will have the nice white colored ice,
Dan... I have not had good experiences with putting ice over snow. I find I get very airy/spongy ice if I do that - won't hold your weight. But to be fair, I do not have a roller or something to properly pack the snow.

Ought to make for some pretty good hockey practice. How big's the rink gonna be?

As big as I can fit in our small yard. The yard slopes at the back, so the rink is pushed right up against the house and is about 14 x 38.