chimney question?

larry merlau

ok ,i now have a chimney block chimney for the wood stove, with clay flues but the flues are stating to break up. amd i lost the outer part of the thimble tonight.... so my question is in a 8x8 flue space can i get a stainless pipe down ther and can i get a new thimble into it? preferablly stainless as well? i am pretty confident i can get the old flues out the bottom with soem patience.. any other ideas?

The Tee come in two peices, the one part goes onto the liner pipe and the tee part get clamped on when the pipe is lowerd into postion.

ok al ,can you explain how they clamp it to the other part of the tee threw the intake hole:huh: ..but it sure looks good from chucks picks. also was told that the creasote wont stick to the stainless???? i dont think that is true,,creasote sticks to everything right..

Last edited:
The one part attaches to trhe liner, which is slide down the chimney. The Second part(snout) is held in place by a person on the bottom and the liner slide thru it. The you tigthen up a band clamp and it is secure. Here is a link to the pic that show it.http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/elbows.htm

thanks al ,,that will explain it well.. and as for the rest of them clowns the chimny wont fit my belly let alone the beer duffle i need to survive on daily... just ask bill satko he knows he quit asking after a couple of good stuff:)

al have you used this stuff? and if so how is it for cleaning ,, will it hold up for that becasue with wood you need to keep them clean to draw properly,, would you suggest solide pipe rather than the flex?

Last edited:
Yes they are easy to clean. No I do not use one, but a freind has been useing his for five years without problems. I looked at doing it, but went with a double wall extior system instead. I did not like where the chimney was located in my shop, so I tore it out and went outside.

Yes they are easy to clean. No I do not use one, but a freind has been useing his for five years without problems. I looked at doing it, but went with a double wall extior system instead. I did not like where the chimney was located in my shop, so I tore it out and went outside.

well in my case its in the house and the tearin out and replacing in this hot weather isnt gonna happen..let alone its a double one for ethe water heater and gas furnce and this one is for wood only.. gonna look for one of them liners and see if i cant slip one in when it cools down some..thanks Al

well in my case its in the house and the tearin out and replacing in this hot weather isnt gonna happen..let alone its a double one for ethe water heater and gas furnce and this one is for wood only.. gonna look for one of them liners and see if i cant slip one in when it cools down some..thanks Al

Just get your tank top, shorts and flip flops on and get to it. And try not to move too fast so you don't get overheated.

Just get your tank top, shorts and flip flops on and get to it. And try not to move too fast so you don't get overheated.

well bill the days of me wearin atank top has been gone for ages,,me white man no like sunburned till bleed skin..BTDT..and never wore thse sill noisey flip flops edder those are the most in furatin things ,,who ever invented them could tie shoe strings and got extra lazy..and shorts dont happen much edder bill legs sam color and back and shoders..we can sweat and stand heat better than get burned and bleed and then have to put up with soreness for tree days plus..learned lesson well on a canoae trip got fried and had to pour iron and brass the nest day..heat and bad sun burn made for miserable memeory..

How much cooler do you want it? It is around 18 below with the wind chill and 6 without the wind.:eek:

gonna nurse it this winter Al,,tried playun santa this week and the roof isnt as sure footed as it was a month ago.. i can stick in a new thimble for now and fix it right come spring.