Let's see your TS switch safety upgrades

Not yet Bart, the floor mounted switch was simply an idea that I had after reading about the concerns of not being able to hit the switch when large material is being cut.

I'm not certain what size of switch would be best.

Jim's comment about adding extra shut-off switches in series with a magnetic switch could be quite useful as well.

Anyhow, since I just got laid off work, I have a bit of spare processing power and time.

Hope its not permanent. In any case don't over think it.:doh::doh::doh::dunno::dunno::dunno::D:thumb:

Rennie where do you stand in order to keep the material against the fence. The width of the widest material you will rip or cross cut will determine where you put your switch & off paddle. If the paddle is buried underneath the material where you can't get to it it won't do you any good.

That is why I made mine with the horizontal bar the full width of the saw. It allows me to hit it with my knee no matter where I am.

Mine is a piece of conduit that makes a "kick switch" that I can bump with my knee. It has a "finger" that pushes the off button.

The best part of it is I can shut the saw down no matter where I am at and still keep both hands on the workpiece.

I just changed my system to be somewhat like yours Danial accept the board over the switch has a hole in it to reach the on switch. I used plywood for the 2 hinged boards & a strip of hardwood to run between them on the backside of the hinged pieces I was afraid if I put in on the front side I'd be bumping it all the time. Another scrap wood fix.

Bart,
After reviewing the different posted switches I also reached the conclusion that Daniel West's was the best, especially if the conduit is replaced with a board.

If this arrangement was mounted at the bottom of the case, then the saw could be turned off with a kick of the shoe. This would probalby be even easier than a floor mounted switch that would need to be stepped on.

It would of course require a switch mounted higher for turning the saw on.

Yes, the lay off is permanaent. It is the secoud one in 2 years.

Put mine over the saw, when cutting large sheets, like 4x8, you can;t reach the switch under the thing. I keep a pushstick handy, if I can't reach it I use the pushstick.

Paul

will need to be relocated.:thumb:

When I find myself revisiting something over and over again I have to come at it from a different angle. Maybe try deciding where you would like your switch and extra turn-off fixture and then work through getting it there(?). This sometimes works for me; I approach the problem from where I want to end up instead of what I can do as things are. :dunno: