Dewalt Lawsuit

Jason Abel

I heard about this a little while ago. Dewalt stole their battery technology from a college and farmed it out to China

Keep in mind it is not the LiIon technology that you see everywhere. This is Lithium Metal Phosphate. I disassembled one of these and noticed it was not a LiIon like Dewalt advertises. I didn't know what type of cell it was to be honest. Supposedly this is a more heat stable cell than LiIon but time will tell all.

Here is a link to the article http://www.bickelbrewer.com/index.php?id=160&backPID=32&tt_news=1860

hungh?.........stealing ideas and having china produce the goods.........first time that`s happened in the woodworking tool marketplace;) .....the decisions of business leaders........fish heads-n-rice-vs-union wages.....bet the consumer comes out ahead:rolleyes:

I knew something was up when I saw the cells a while back :huh:

I guess we will wait and see what happens. I'm not a fan of Lithium Ion technology being used in heavy duty tool applications so I guess that is why I am sort of humored by this :D

The LiIon cells are highly explosive. That is my biggest reason for not being a big fan of them. When subjected to high heat they have the ability to explode and burn. I had a lithium battery swell and explode when I first started experimenting with them. It threw off 2ft high blue flames, melted a hole in my driveway, and made it stink like #$## for a few days outside in that area. The other draw backs are that they are much more expensive than NiCads and they cannot put out the amperage that a NiCad can. Each chemistry has it's up's and down's. NiCads and strong and their workhorses but they get damaged easier than NiMH. NiMH hold their power for longer time periods but have a shorter life expectancy than a NiCad if used frequently. Typically NiMH batteries are a little more expensive than NiCads. LiIon are the lightest of all the battery types and are very flexible with when they are charged. They are much more expensive than NiCads or NiMH and their life expectancy if about half that of a NiMH battery pack depending upon care. They are also much more sensitive to heating and keeping clean. All lithiums have a pressure valve which opens when the pressure gets too high it releases through a small vent hole. If that vent hole gets filled with concrete, dirt, compacted dust, etc.. it fails to vent quickly enough and it will swell and blow out the sides. Bright blue flames. Cool if you looking at them from a distance but hot as #$## if your close.

Last edited:
Depends where you read and who the manufacturer is. I didn't read Dewalts manuals so I am unsure what their info is. Also keep in mind the explosive one is the LiIon and not the Lithium Metal Sulfate which is where Dewalt is trying to venture. They are just calling it Lithium Nano Phosphate. The lithium cells are so different between types of lithium that the whole market is really confusing right now. Let the dust settle and see what comes out of everything.