A little something from this morning.

Chas Jones

_________
_________ ___

Wow, you must have acquired a nice batch of spalted beech. This is another nice piece, Chas. :thumb:

Just a bit more to wade through Vaughn, :) although the rest was put to dry before the spalting had taken such a hold.

Attachments

• DSC03023.JPG
    DSC03023.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC03024.JPG
    DSC03024.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC03025.JPG
    DSC03025.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 27
Chas,
Am I missing something? You're spalting them inside your greenhouse? What a great idea!
Thanks,
Bill

Not exactly Bill, although a certain amount of spalting continues for a while the main aim is to dry the wood without it splitting.

It would appear that the conditions in my greenhouse (the wood is loosely covered with plastic) provide enough humidity to even the moisture gradient across the slabs/blocks to reduce any splitting.

The current crop of bowls were from some branch material that I did not have time or energy to convert at the time of collection, just got dumped at the rear of my greenhouse on a large mound of lawn moss, noted one day that there was a rainbow selection of differing fungi that on investigation indicated that it looked just on borderline salvageable, so followed a couple of days last November band sawing and frantic rough turning to halt its progress.

Bah!!! Chas, your killin' me!! That is some nice work and an impressive store of wood...could I interest you in some english walnut by chance? ;) I really like the spalted stuff. :thumb:

Are you going into mass production? or is it that you have more time now??:)

No more time unfortunately Toni, in fact since we have increased our Gym sessions and associated travelling, I loose potential 6-7 hours a week.

Not quite mass production, I do have a standing outlet for most of the pieces and they tend to get produced on a batch basis to reduce the chuck/tooling reconfiguration time.

Thanks for the comments Guys, :eek:

;although there are times when the ego just needs the boost.:D
Chas, ego boosts are a healthy thing. ;) Ever since my days as a musician, I've been a firm believer that any artist needs a balanced mix of ego and humility.

If one doesn't have at least some ego, they would not continue to pursue their art.

If one doesn't have at least some humility, they would not continue to improve their art.