Three antler pens

I have been messing around with antler and trying to get a new design more my personal decision rather than use or copy someone else. I may find out after completing it that there are hundreds out there like it, but hey, that is me, spending my time reinventing the wheel!
First of all, my "design in mind" led me to learn to do a closed end pen. My medium of choice is antler so obviously what the pens are made of. One of the reasons for antler predominance is I was asked to put my work in the Conservation Building at the county fair this coming summer. I see some possible jobs/work if I present it correctly. So besides the "design" I am putting together a number of antler pieces (pens at the moment) to create the inner need of the sportsmen to turn some of their less than desired or smaller antlers into something and me being the one asked to do the creation. So, over the course of the next few months as time allows, you might start seeing more antler items from me.
I did not know anything about collet chucks or tapered shafts or whatever it is to do closed end turnings when I started this project so I did all of these using only an adjustable mandrel and regular turning tools.

Attachments

• Antler bullet pen.JPG
    Antler bullet pen.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Antler Pen I.JPG
    Antler Pen I.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Pen and Stand.JPG
    Pen and Stand.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Pen and Stand III.JPG
    Pen and Stand III.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Pen and Stand II.JPG
    Pen and Stand II.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 26
You are certainly being innovative in the use of antler. Making a closed end without a pin chuck had to be challenging. Pens from antler can be very popular. For me, the hardest part is drilling the hole in a crooked item without coming out the side.
Yours, being top heavy are obviously desk pens. They would make fine gifts for presentation pieces.
The only criticism would be with the first on the left. The nib fitting to the cartridge is not good.
Johnson might jump in here with comments. Methinks he might have a solution for you with that part. ;)

Interesting concept. I have thought about the same style, but cold weather and a severs lack of entheusiasm is stopping me. I would have probably drilled out the side about half way. My guess is that the casing is less than a .30 caliber since nib to neck on the .30 fit is usually really close. .243 or .270 maybe? If you have some copper solid stock, you could turn a bullet nib that would match the neck of the shell. Just chuck it in a collet chuck, turn the bullet shape and part it off. I have turned tapers on the tail of around 300 bullets with a 3/8 spindle gouge with no problem.

You are exactly correct Dale, 243. It is what shot that deer. At the time, didn't have the skills or friends/connections to do it so it is exactly what is considered "Hoyle". But I did it with my limited skills and tools and am still proud of it. Have an idea on cleaning it up, when I get another shell, will make the second "antler and bullet" pen and it will be cleaned up considerably as well as it will utilize the same style nib and not look out of place.
As for drilling out the side, yep happens, have one pen that it just started a nick on the side, so when turning filled it with antler shavings/dust and once polished, I have to look hard to find it.
Yes desk pens, I had one pen that was Euro that had a clip using a tip of antler but it was stolen from the county fair show a couple of years ago along with my favorite antler segmented pen, the segmented pen was returned by a mother about three months later! The other is gone, it was ebony and antler segmented.
The bullet one will stay this way, it will be what shows my progression of learning (among other things!).
Oh Dale, still don't have one of those "collet chuck" things.

Jonathan,

Very nice looking pens. I've been messing with antler pens a little bit myself. I made my last one with an antler bottom & an aluminum arrow shaft for the top half. Your design has given me some more ideas to go back to the shop with.

Billy

Can't beat a pen with a story behind it. The little step at the nib will actually give some purchase to your fingers. I find cartrige pens to be kind of slippery for me to hang on to. 30 years of welding have kind of done a number on the fingers. PM me your address again, I'll send you a care package.
Dale

I like the second one best as well. Seems like it would be real tricky chucking it up.
I'm wondering from a design perspective if the center rings could be left off or a larger one used. When I first look at it, my eye is drawn to the narrowest part instead of the antler as a whole. I think if the center band was fatter . . . What do I know? They look great. Alan

Dale, yes actually, the step does create a very nice "edge" to hold the pen without a lot of pressure making it comfortable to write with.

The "desk" pens are not bad at all to use, can't carry in your shirt pocket as they would poke your eye out!

Vaughn, the picture doesn't do it justice, the copper is an amazing contrast to the antler, liked it from the time I put the nib on.

Alan, you are onto the next design change! :thumb:

Actually don't know if I am going about this correctly, but as things come to mind, making changes/progressions. Figure if I put all of them in the presentation case, each will hit each person differently and if I get two orders per item, I would be covered up in antler orders!
Interesting that the copper one, even though the same style and size of the black one (which creates an eye appeal of its own) draws your interest. I really like the pair of black rings created when the black one is in the pen holder. Thanks for the comments, making me take notes for when I get time to get back on this project.