Keeping out riff raff...

In case you missed it, check the upper right corner for the number with the little minus sign. This is NOT windchill. Its kind of cold in Maine today which tends to keep out riff raff. It's hard to have a drive by shooting when the window is frozen shut.:D

I don't care who you are, -45 below without windchill is cold!

temp011609_002-514x383.jpg

Yea that is cold. I worked in Northern BC and Alberta and the Yukon during the winter when it was -50 and that wasn't including the windchill. Brrrr. Watch out for the breathing as your lungs can freeze at those temps. When it gets cold like that Travis pay attention to the vehicals as the fluids can freeze and blow the frost plugs out of the engine blocks. Up north we ran our vehicals 24 /7 never letting it stop long enough to freeze. Oil gets really thick at that temp too and engines will not turn over. For those that didn't run their engines or have circulations heaters installed, There was this fellow in Whitehorse that built a heating plenum that was curved up and open at one end that he could slide under vehicals and it had a 90 degree stove pipe at the other end that he hooked a propane blast heater up to and he heated the entire engine block up and within minutes the engine would turn over provided that you had the right antifreeze mixture in the engine. 50 bucks a heat and he was working all the time. I did years of that and that is why I moved back to Victoria. It never gets that cold here.

Amazing Travis, how are the sheep making out in this, thats all I can think of. I cannot relate to this temp. Its artic conditions. I thought we had it bad at -27 Celius but thats only -16 to you.

Have you ever checked on how accurate your temp sensor is. This was one of the critical things I checked on when I bought my weather station, that and my requirement to be able to measure multiple points wirelessly.

Whats the temp with the cows and how does this affect milk production. Do they eat more and produce less in temps like this or does little change.

Amazing Travis, how are the sheep making out in this, thats all I can think of. I cannot relate to this temp. Its artic conditions. I thought we had it bad at -27 Celius but thats only -16 to you.

Have you ever checked on how accurate your temp sensor is. This was one of the critical things I checked on when I bought my weather station, that and my requirement to be able to measure multiple points wirelessly.

Whats the temp with the cows and how does this affect milk production. Do they eat more and produce less in temps like this or does little change.
they eat the same it just becomes ice cream and you get more for that rob.

Have you ever checked on how accurate your temp sensor is.

Just picked a Maine city at random (Presque Isle, which I think is a ways away from Travis), and looked up the official temp from last night:

Actuals (high)-6°F (low)-31°F (precip) 0 in.

And that's a ways away, and in a populated area. Looks like the temp sensor is believable.

It's pretty cold here in DC (relatively speaking), and we're about to host an extra few million people, who are all going to freeze, cuz there's no place to find shelter! We're going to be pushing zero by morning...

Thanks,

Bill

Just picked a Maine city at random (Presque Isle, which I think is a ways away from Travis), and looked up the official temp from last night:

Actuals (high)-6°F (low)-31°F (precip) 0 in.

And that's a ways away, and in a populated area. Looks like the temp sensor is believable.

It's pretty cold here in DC (relatively speaking), and we're about to host an extra few million people, who are all going to freeze, cuz there's no place to find shelter! We're going to be pushing zero by morning...

Thanks,

Bill

Presque Isle... back when I managed my autohaul fleet (new car delivery), we'd joke that whoever got that run should write when he found work, also he should be very careful which way he turned, as one wrong turn he'd wind up in New Brunswick.

Yikes !

Wow Travis, that's mighty cold. We only got down to about 0 deg F. last night. Heat wave by your standards ;-))

Stay warm and safe and watch out for the critters.

Next time it gets that cold, run outside with a pot of water and throw it in the air...................I've done that at -60F when I lived in Fairbanks and its just a mini fog bank, nothing hits the ground. Might work at -45 too.:eek: Stay warm.

Rob I think the sensor is fairly accurate.The reason I say that is the inside temp is spot on at 68º. Additionally the cold temps was the talk of the town here too and many other people had the same readings. The problem is, when the air is this still, it gets cold, and when it gets cold, you can have spots that are warmer or colder. My dad gets hit with frost in the Spring far earlier then I do, and he is only 500 feet away...but down a hill.

As for the sheep, they are fine. Their noses were all frosted up, but I do give them extra feed and probiotics. That gives them more energy and gets their stomachs churning which produces internal heat for them. If given before nightfall, they process that food all night and have high energy levels to stay warm.

As for the cows, dairy farms do well in Northern States because a Holstein cow prefers temps to be 27º. However, a farmer likes temps at 68º/ So what we do is super insulate a barn and let the heat from the cows warm up the barns to a balmy 50º or so. Its a compromise.

As for the poultry industry, that was killed off here by the high price of oil. For many years it was a thriving industry, but in the late 70's when the price of oil spiked, it was not economical to heat our huge chicken barns and raise broilers. Instead the chickens headed south and the chicken plants here closed up. For the farmers in the south, keeping chickens means simply fencing them in and requires no heat...thus more economical. It's the reason why dairy farms flourish in the northern states, and chicken reigns supreme in the South.

As for me, the only issue I have is that I have to brush my teeth in warm water. That's because I ran my water lines for the sink through my concrete slab. Sine I have radiant floor heat, and the boiler is running overtime to keep the place warm...those water lines for my sink are always luke warm. :)

By the way,this is NOT the coldest I have ever seen. 5-6 years ago we got down to -55º. Before that, -32º was the coldest I had experienced.

I believe in places like NY and chicago, when temps drop so low its unbearable, street crimes drop, not so much that there arent so many victims around, but that its too cold for even the muggers

I believe in places like NY and chicago, when temps drop so low its unbearable, street crimes drop, not so much that there arent so many victims around, but that its too cold for even the muggers

Allen I had to chuckle at your reply and think to myself, "Note to self, Alwyas go shopping in New York in January of Feb when its is cold enough to keep the muggers and con artists off the street" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Its just that I like to visit the USS Entrepid in New York and it a bit cold on the flight deck at this time of year.:rofl::rofl:

As a former Chicago boy, I know that is true. Bad guys get active in hot weather.
Temps are not always relevant to felt comfort. In Chicago those winds coming off the lake can keep you shivering sumptin' terrible regardless of the temp.

As a former Chicago boy, I know that is true. Bad guys get active in hot weather.
Temps are not always relevant to felt comfort. In Chicago those winds coming off the lake can keep you shivering sumptin' terrible regardless of the temp.

I wrote a paper in college about how most riots up to that time, mid 90's, took place during heat waves....lots of people outside, heat, hot tempers, let's get it on!...don't have to worry about that in Maine this time of year! Or IA for that matter.