Oak Filing Cabinets

Completed!

The filing cabinets have been finished and are now in use.

Oak Filing Cabinets 49 -Completed and in place -small.JPG Oak Filing Cabinets 50 -Closeup of top -small.JPG Oak Filing Cabinets 51 -Open drawer -small.JPG

They are exactly one month late. :eek:

Carrying on from the last update, I first sanded everything starting with 120 grit and progressing to 220. There was a lot of hand sanding. Again, -held sanding profiles from Lee Valley (catalogue 68Z82.10) came in quite handy ?as did the Festool Pocket StickFix sanding block (catalogue 583 129):

Oak Filing Cabinets 46 -hand sanding tools -small.JPG Oak Filing Cabinets 47 Frank hand sanding -small.JPG

I used the same Old Masters Special Walnut gel stain that was used for the drawer fronts. Then three coats of MinWax Satin Wipe-On Poly were applied (and wiped off after 10 minutes). The final step was to polish everything with a sheepskin pad on my Rotex sander:

Oak Filing Cabinets 48 -Polishing -small.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Toni, I built them becuase of the vintage flair. And, I am sorry to say, the the craftsmanship (particularly with the finishing) could be a lot better.

Well Frank... we always think that about any project that we do, if we didn't think that way we wouldn't be woodworking:)

As per the finish, well I can't tell from here but I'm sure that it is not that bad.

I love the idea of disguising one drawer as if it was four, I hadn't noticed it before.:):thumb: