sheet goods storage

Craig Johnson

Hi everyone.
Is there a best way to store sheet goods?
I have a 3/4" plywood sheet and some melamine that is showing signs of warpage.
I dont have any type of cabinet built for them and have them leaning up as close to vertical as possible against a plastic storage shelf unit.
Not sure if the warpage is something I did or it just naturally happens.
I am concerned since I will use this plywood for jigs and such in my shop.
I really dont see any other way to store these other than cutting them into smaller pieces to avoid this.

This is the way I store my sheet goods as well as scrap lumber from various projects. It is modeled after Norm's storage system. Since I have 10' ceilings I added a little extra to the 4x8 sheets to accommodate full plywood sheets. I just built a frame and added some strips of ply.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 101
So is the issue having support for the sheet at about the halfway point?
Since I have it just leaning against a shelving unit there is no support in the middle thus creating the warping?

storing them flat will keep them that way to some degree but the truth is that when they come to the supplier they are gonna do as they want.. you have seen them in the borgs and they curl like a dried up nite crawler.. the room issue is the problem that most of us have and allens methode is one way to keep them flat as well.. keep them as straight up and down as you can or flat to stay flat or like allen.

9c-Rollinglumberrack.jpg

allen,
that link was fine, but you could have posted the photo too! nice lookring unit there!

I made a rack at 20 degrees from vertical and use a piece of mdf to support the plywood the full length. I remember reading somewhere that the maximum angle from vertical is 10 degrees. My plywood stays in decent shape. I cant post a picture right now because this computer doesnt have the picture.

My ceiling is only 8 ft and it is difficult postioning the sheet on the rack. I am going to make a cart to store my plywood and store it horizontal like Allen's link shows. Then I can store the plywood in my cold storage area and it leaves some more floor space for something else.

Is it OK to store plywood in the cold and use it right away? Or does it have to aclimate like lumber?

the only picture I have of the one I built before I took it apart and used the ply and wheels for the second work bench.

It could hold 4-5 full sheets I remember, but was very heavy when loaded with sheets and filled with 8 foot pieces of lumber in the center.

Attachments

• wood stuff 016 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 016 (Medium).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 71
Mine lay flat on a rack. I have space for 8 slices (4'x8') of each thickness, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4". The bb goes under the outfeed table.

board storage

Rather than standing on end; I lay ply. etc on the side as vertical as possile and that seems to work ok. Only problem is friction when pulling the sucker out to use it. And a piece of melamine is so so heavy. It only takes 96"x18" floorspace from the corner of the shop. And I have shelves in front of it where I store misc tool boxes and other useables.

Ray Gerdes in beautiful TEXAS

Rather than standing on end; I lay ply. etc on the side as vertical as possile and that seems to work ok. Only problem is friction when pulling the sucker out to use it. And a piece of melamine is so so heavy. It only takes 96"x18" floorspace from the corner of the shop. And I have shelves in front of it where I store misc tool boxes and other useables.

Ray Gerdes in beautiful TEXAS

I may try this instead. Seems less pressure over entire surface. Thanks Raymond.