assembly problems for daughter

Frank Fusco

My daughter, at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, called in a panic. Her husband is eating dust in Afghanistan and she needs bookshelves. So, she went to the BORG and bought an assemble yer self set. Won't go. These plastic thingys (I know not a good pic) set in pre drilled holes then the screw is fastened to the adjoining piece. Problem(s) the plastic thingy is too big for the hole, must be banged in crumbling the MDF. Then once it's in it's loose. Guy at BORG told her to use epoxy. She tried that, it didn't set up. Plus once it's in there is no way to get a screwdriver onto/into the screw. She couldn't tell me what kind of screw it is. "Has four things." Probably a square head. They did not provide any tools. In the end, she said it doesn't have to look good, nobody will see it in their bedroom. I told her to get 'L' brackets and screw the thing together. BTW, she has a rechargeable screwdriver/drill and other tools. It was a wedding present from me to them. Most used gift they got. Daddy knows.

Attachments

• screw thing.jpg
    screw thing.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 74
Is that the bolt side of a euro bolt and cam connector? I am familiar with Minifix and Rafix, but this is different, I think. Why not just take it back. It is the Borg's problem it does not work. She will just be taking on their problem. I know it might be a hassle packaging it up and getting it back.

Is that the bolt side of a euro bolt and cam connector? I am familiar with Minifix and Rafix, but this is different, I think. Why not just take it back. It is the Borg's problem it does not work. She will just be taking on their problem. I know it might be a hassle packaging it up and getting it back.

It doesn't look like a Euro bolt to me. I don't know, by name, the other two you mention but I have assembled a number of pieces with different connector systems and this looks unlike any I have seen. She doesn't want to go to the trouble of returning. Her decision.

I understand Frank. Boy that connector looks feeble. The euro connectors actually work very well and are strong. This just looks like a very cheap alternative. Of course the hole not fitting has nothing to do with the connector.

I hate to be a klutz; but what is BORG. I presume some big box store.........?.

Ray,

BORG == Big Orange Retail Giant.

And yes, it is also a reference to the Borg from Star Trek, with their big square ships that go around absorbing other races.

So it just means your local big box hardware/builders store such as Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, or Rona for us Canucks.

Frank, I'm no help on the fastener question, but all day I've been seeing the topic title, thinking you're trying to figure out how to assemble a daughter. I'd figure by now, you'd know how all that stuff works. :rofl:

Vaughn, I thought that from the time I read the title but felt I was getting a little to "comfortable" being a smart aleck so let it slide. Buuuuuuuut, now that you opened "Pandora's box", I was thinking, "if you don't know how to assemble her why did you taker her apart?!":eek::huh::rofl::rofl:

Enneywow. A couple sergeants in her husbands outfit heard about the problems and one came over and assembled. She said, even he had difficulty with the fasteners and one shelf needed 'L' brackets to hold.
She now has a bookshelf and is happy.

Attachments

• bookshelf_resized.jpg
    bookshelf_resized.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 23
Enneywow. A couple sergeants in her husbands outfit heard about the problems and one came over and assembled. She said, even he had difficulty with the fasteners and one shelf needed 'L' brackets to hold.
She now has a bookshelf and is happy.

I'm sure she takes care of herself very well, but it's gotta make you feel good about the help she has around when needed with the SIL out of the country on duty. :thumb:

I'm sure she takes care of herself very well, but it's gotta make you feel good about the help she has around when needed with the SIL out of the country on duty. :thumb:

I have met some of Andrew's buddies. They take care of each other and are all very respectful men. Even the unit commander, a female light colonel, personally paid for Andrew and some of the other men to be able to come home from training for the holidays when the cost wasn't officially covered. They do take care of each other.

Frank...

As an ex-military guy I'm aware of the fraternal bonds that exist. Nice end to the story...thanks for that.

btw, is that you with the squid cover?

Cheers