Another DNA thing

Jim Burr

While grabbing some DNA today, a couple of questions hit me. If I want to rough shape a peppermill, would it be better to hollow it or rough turn it, wait till it dries (dna) and then hollow it :huh:.
2nd, if starting with a block that is sealed, can it be turned round (assuming I can) and then DNA'd :huh:
I have some Sablewood that is wet, 4x4x12 w/anchorseal and want to get on it asap. The thought process is that I can turn it round and DNA it :eek:
All help is needed and wanted and appreciated, and , and , and :dunno::dunno:

Last edited:
Jim,
I would recommend rounding the blank.. oversized, then drill it, undersized, then soak for your prescribed time. You want the DNA to get to as much wood as possible. After it has dried to your satisfaction, re-drill it to size, then you can put your jam chucks in the holes and turn the outside to your design.

Just the way I would do it.

Last edited:
Jim,
I would recommend rounding the blank.. oversized, then drill it, undersized, then soak for your prescribed time. You want the DNA to get to as much wood as possible. After it has dried to your satisfaction, re-drill it to size, then you can put your jam chucks in the holes and turn the outsize to your design.

Just the way I would do it.

Chuck nailed it, that is what I'd do as well :thumb:

I was faced with the same decision a few months ago with a couple green maple blanks. I ended up just turning them into cylinders (about 3 1/2" or so in diameter), but not drilling them. I soaked them for a couple days in DNA, wrapped them in 3 or 4 layers of newspaper, then let them sit for a couple months. When I unwrapped them, they were nice and dry, no cracks, and still remarkably round. When I turned them into salt and pepper mills, the wood was definitely dry all the way through, and as far as I know, they've stayed stable. (They're not all that old...they were Christmas presents.)

I had a order for walnut rolling pins about 2 months before Christmas one year. The woman wanted them for gifts since they were cut from her downed tree. I did as Vaughn did except I did not wrap in paper. I stood them on end and turned them end for end about every 3 days. Neither the rolling pins nor the billets cracked.

I would do the same. Turn them round, DNA them and then turn when dry. I tried the turning round and drilling smaller. Redrilling is a pain in the back side when it dries.