basic goblet guide

This is how i choose to do my goblets- its up to you to find and turn the way which suits you and your tools etc this is only meant as a guide not a strict how to do.

This paticular piece of wood came from the very edge of a large log, the genral rule of thumb is the further away from the pith the more stable the blank will be, there is nothing worse than making a lovely goblet for it to dry like the leaning tower!!
here it is between centers
DSCF4103.jpg

knocked into the round
DSCF4104.jpg

pop a dovetail spigot on one or both ends in this case
DSCF4105.jpg

DSCF4106.jpg

this blank is a bit too long for just a goblet so the far left will be the goblet and the right will be for a box later
DSCF4107.jpg

heres the goblet blank mounted in my chuck
DSCF4109.jpg

its important to have the dovetail like this, firmly seated againt the jaws
DSCF4110.jpg

here it is marked out for bowl stem and base
DSCF4113.jpg

i rough shape the outside of the bowl making sure to leave plenty of wood for strength whilist hollowing.
DSCF4114.jpg

hollowed out using a spindle gouge on its side, the deeper you go the more difficult it becomes so for learning i would only go 2" ish deep.
DSCF4117.jpg

a bit more shaping now on the outside
DSCF4120.jpg

sand and finish the bowl now as you cannot go back once you start on the stem
DSCF4121.jpg

slowly work your way down the stem working in short sections
DSCF4124.jpg

DSCF4126.jpg

sand and finish the stem and base now
DSCF4127.jpg

part of and hand finish the base making sure to cut it concave
DSCF4130.jpg

there you go a simple goblet
i left this stem quite thick as spalted beech is not very strong.

Much appreciated, George. One of these days I need to try some goblets, and your tutorial will definitely help.

Thanks for the pictorial, George.
I have tried a couple times to turn goblets but only netted more firewood. How do you go about hollowing out the cup?
Rich

I mainly use a spindle gouge rolled over on its side but i sometimes use a 5/8 bowl gouge on its side, depends on the size of the cup.