Curly Cherry Hall Table W/Pics *Installed*

Here's a table I built after seeing something similar in a movie, hence I've dubbed it the "set" table. I had this wood laying around with nothing to do so I thought this might be a good project. I normally try and get rid of the sap wood but I didn't want to give up any width. I decided to use the bottom shelf to totally embrace sap wood and call attention to a piece I wouldn't normally use. A kind of if-you-can't-beat-it-join-it approach to sap wood :thumb: I don't know if you like it, but I think it works. More importantly, so does my bride! ;)

This was a ton of fun. I got a chance to do a ton of hand cut dovetails. I figured that because the table has a delecate look to it (thin legs, fine tapers), that I should make the pins as thin as possible. I don't think you can get the pins any thinner as they're the width of my fret saw blade.

I turned all the knobs - my first attempt at turning more than one knob. Only three additions to the scrap bin!

Right now I just have a coat of BLO on it. I wasn't planning on posing it until I had sprayed it, but the sun was out, it was 68F and the figure was popping. So there ya be. Thanks for looking!

Also, if you want to see the construction pics in all their gruesome detail, they're on my website. I'll try and get the Sketchup plans up there as well if your interested.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• SetTable.jpg
    SetTable.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 85
  • SetTable7.jpg
    SetTable7.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 100
  • SetTable8.jpg
    SetTable8.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 48
  • SetTable2.jpg
    SetTable2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 48
  • SetTable6.jpg
    SetTable6.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 66
  • SetTable3.jpg
    SetTable3.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 71
  • SetTable4.jpg
    SetTable4.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 74
  • SetTable9.jpg
    SetTable9.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 61
  • SetTable5.jpg
    SetTable5.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Wow, just wow! Another showcase piece, Jason. :clap: Your work is always an inspiration.

Practical question...I'm assuming that with ultra-thin pins on the dovetails like these, you're not really gaining any strength from the dovetails themselves, but instead relying on the side and face grain glue surfaces. Is that a correct assumption?

Practical question...I'm assuming that with ultra-thin pins on the dovetails like these, you're not really gaining any strength from the dovetails themselves, but instead relying on the side and face grain glue surfaces. Is that a correct assumption?

Vaughn, another left-coaster still not in bed. :wave: Thanks for the kind words.

I guess I didn't think much about the load on the thin pins. The case isn't going to be under much stress, so I'm not worried about that. The drawers should have enough holding power through the glue as you say, but time will be the test :eek: Truth be told, I was after a look more than I was joinery. Great question though.

Jason, lovely piece. The bottom shelf in particular is very striking. I also would normally try to shy away from sapwood. But even more, that dark line -- is that a crack or a bark inclusion? That's something I would also normally cut off. But in the overall piece, it just adds a great centre of interest. It kind of draws your eye to a section of the piece that would otherwise not be noticed too much.

However, photo #7 puzzles me. That is the one with the drawer sitting on top of the piece. The drawer body is some pale wood (pine, maple?) but the dovetail from the drawer back, which is visible from the side, looks the same colour as the cherry. :huh: Is that just a weird trick of the light?

Also, how is the lower shelf attached?

thanks for sharing your work,
...art

Jason,

Your work is so exceptional that it usually has me wondering if I should look into a different hobby.:rofl:

Seriously, it's inspirational. I hope I can do something half as nice someday.:thumb:

Wow Jason, that is a beautiful piece! lots of great hand cut dovetails. Just love the grain on it, and the sap wood on the bottom shelf, fantastic :thumb:
I like using sap, knots and such in pieces, it just works for me, and yours WORKS! As you said, your bride has to be extremely happy with this piece.

Tom