Frank Klausz dovetail video -- WOW

Bartee Lamar

I just finished my 1st viewing of the Frank Klausz dovetail video.

WOW... I hope that someday I can come close to what he does.

I am starting new project that will definitely include handcut dovetails.

What's your experience?

He's fast, isn't he? Would like to see him use that technique on a little more challenging wood!

I think it was Popular Woodworking a year or two ago which had an article by him as well. The article basically advocated no measuring out, just lay them out by eye and go for it.

I did some as practice that way for a while. I like practice as long as it isn't the piano...

Take care, Mike

In addition to the dovetail instruction, there was another technique that jumped out at me right away - one that had me thinking "of course - why didn't I think of that?". I've never seen anyone else using this method, but when he cuts the back of the drawer, he just cranks up the height on the dado set after slotting for the drawer bottoms. That garantees that the back is even with the top of the dado slot. It seems so simple it should be obvious but I haven't seen anybody else on TV or videos do it that way.

Morning...

I have attened two seminars with Frank Klausz at Highland Hardware (now Highland Woodworking). Had to to the second one to catch what I missed in the first. He goes so fast in both cutting them and demonstrating as he really doesn't slow down for questions.

He often lets his eyes wander elsewhere as he seems to be able to do it as if he were day-dreaming. He had an interesting childhood as he worked in his fathers very discplined shop cutting thousands a day.

A little dry in character ( probably from the child-hood ), but he can cut dove-tails with ligthnening speed for sure!

Regards...

JT.. sarge

I worked a fair bit to get to be able to cut OK handcut dovetails, I must have cut near 100 of them if not more, just to get to a point where I can do some decent ones, but I sure don't do them fast, faster than when I started, for sure, but not FAST :rolleyes:

As they say, of of the big differences between the pro and the hobbyist is that the pro can do the job FAST and well, which usually comes with doing the same thing many times.

I'd love to see someone had cut dovetails, the only person I've ever seen hand cut dovetails is me :eek:

Cheers!

I'd love to see someone had cut dovetails, the only person I've ever seen hand cut dovetails is me :eek:

Cheers!

that`s me stu:eek: .....it needed done so i taught myself.....i`m sure i ain`t the fastest or neatest but they pass my eye and don`t look like they came off a machine;) .....tod

Where did you find the video?

Dave, this is not a new video. Check your local public library, that is where I found it ages ago. Look for "Dovetail a drawer with Frank Klausz"

Another one you could check out is Rob Cosman. (www.robcosman.com). He has a completely different method than Frank Klausz. Rob tours all over Canada doing all the wood shows. (He is the Canadian Rep for Lie Nielsen)