Glenn's Shop Tour - Jan. 2009

glenn bradley

Well thank you everyone who has posted a recent shop tour. I realized I was due. As usual, the shop will never be at a stand still where the whole area is clean but, this is a golden opportunity as I am between things so here goes:

This is what I refer to as the front left corner. Home to the DC, tablesaw/router table and such. The overarm is shown in the position used to service the router table fence.

1-left-front.jpg

After adding some additional lighting and power (and the cyclone), some things had to move about. I was glad for the cleat system on the wall. This area now has a big open spot in the upper right corner to fill ;-)

2-left-wall.jpg

This is the left rear corner. Home to my metal toolbox with all the usual suspects plus all my DP stuff as when standing at the main DP this box is to my back. It also hides a dozen pipe clamps in a rack on the wall behind it. The top is woefully full of junk that needs to be gone through.

3-left-rear.jpg

Behind those horribly colored sliding doors lives an old laptop that's only purpose in life is to boot up and automatically connect to 'Radio Paradise' for Internet music in the shop.

4-laptop.jpg

This is the back wall. Home to a couple DP's and a small BS. The blue cabinet holds fasteners for the shop and some tool boxes for plumbing, electrical and other non-WWing tasks. The brown cabinet holds my jigs and sharpening supplies.

5-back-wall.jpg

Continuing counter clockwise (skipping the washer and dryer nook) we get to my sheet storage (there are 15" of depth behind that front sheet of MDF) and cutoff bin. The bins are so full you can't tell where the cutoffs start and the bins end; that happens at the end of a project run. . . it'll thin out.

6-right-rear.jpg

My very first project, a rolling worktable with storage, is still in use. That 3/16" hardboard top is made to be replaceable but after more than 3 years of banging away, its still good.

7-rolling-table.jpg

Here's the right-front corner. Home to the jointer and the fliptop stand. The small DC serves the jointer and planer via a flex hose with a quick coupler.

8-right-front.jpg

My ambient cleaner is one of the things that finally got moved up and out of the way. It is remote controlled and I can reach a magnetically held filter door by standing on the bench . . . nothin' but first class around here.

9-ambient.jpg

Here are part of the lights I recently added that now give me plenty of light. Three light circuits are on the shop panel with one light circuit on the house panel so I won't get left in the dark if all goes awry.

A-lights.jpg

If you're not bored yet . . . on to a few more pics. . .

Last edited:
Glenn's Shop Tour - Jan. 2009, part 2

And here's the rest:

Here's the overarm in the "normal" position.

B-overarm.jpg

Under the workbench are drawers for items used there.

C-drawers.jpg

A better shot of the behind-the-bench area. The newer DP is my primary hole maker. Grandpa's 1940's DP is used as a drum sander and a secondary hole maker. The small BS is great for quick cuts; I hardly ever use the CMS anymore, poor thing.

D-behind-bench.jpg

When I end up with too many smallish hardwood scraps I toss them in a bin sorted by type (sorta). When that one gets full I build another and stack them. There is a treasure trove of shop-made-pulls and detail-parts material in those bins ;-)

E-scrap-bins.jpg

I try to never pass up a spot to stuff some cubbys or drawers. This is the backside of the outfeed table.

F-outfeed-storage.jpg

My blade rack and hand screws are tucked beside the DC.

G-blade-handscrew-storage.jpg

And I guess that oughta qualify me till next year. Thanks all!

Glenn -- would you take a pix from the front end of your TS, I would to see how you are arranged your tabletop.

Ray Gerdes in beatiful TEXAS
Not sure which part you're after so here's a few shots. BTW, my oldest boy lives in Texas ;-)

Attachments

• 22124-(1).jpg
    22124-(1).jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 22124-(2).jpg
    22124-(2).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 68
  • 22124-(3).jpg
    22124-(3).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 22124.jpg
    22124.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 68
I have the same Craftsman tablesaw that you have, it looks like you shifted the fence mount to the right. I've was considering doing that to have a wider rip capacity. were you able to use the existing mounting holes or did you have to drill and tap new ones? I've always been a little concerned that the bolts were only ¼-20, seems a little small.

Also it looks like you have a digital readout attached to the fence, what is the brand?

Thanks
Dan

I have the same Craftsman tablesaw that you have, it looks like you shifted the fence mount to the right. I've was considering doing that to have a wider rip capacity. were you able to use the existing mounting holes or did you have to drill and tap new ones? I've always been a little concerned that the bolts were only ¼-20, seems a little small.

Also it looks like you have a digital readout attached to the fence, what is the brand?

Thanks
Dan

Existing holes, no problem. Like a sled and many other "I've been meaning to do that" things in my shop; it's great and so easy. The DRO is Wixey and I think its on sale at Woodcraft or somewhere for around $80 which is a steal.

I'm impressed by the shop, but even more impressed to learn that you're a fellow RP listener.
headphone%20smiley.gif
(If you've told me that before, I've forgotten.) Wish I had an old laptop to use as a shop computer/radio. I could put a desktop box in the shop, but finding room for it would be a challenge.

Glenn,
Thanks for the good info, I moved the fence rail with no problems at all, I was even able to peel up the tape measure strip and re-position it for the new location. I appreciate the help!

Thanks
Dan