Creole Jambalaya

Looks good Mike!

I got a question for you, if I cook up a big pot of this, can I freeze it and reheat it easily?

I like to cook ups big pots of stuff, and then freeze about half of it, and take it to the L shop for my dinner, just a few minutes in the microwave, and I have a good hot, hearty meal.

Cheers!

Hey Mike, Speaking of cooking something unusual. I found a breadfruit in the store the other day and cooked it up for the kids this morning. It's not too bad. Has a slight squash taste and is quite filling. Since I retired and the wife went back to work I've been doing more of the cooking. It's kind of fun in the mad chemist sort of way to do experiments with different foods and use the kids for guinea pigs. So far they have liked dad cooking in the kitchen. I've been trying to be more health conscious and figure to eat more veggies and fruits. Some of my successes have been left-over lasagna and sea food pizza. :D

Looks good Mike!

I got a question for you, if I cook up a big pot of this, can I freeze it and reheat it easily?

I like to cook ups big pots of stuff, and then freeze about half of it, and take it to the L shop for my dinner, just a few minutes in the microwave, and I have a good hot, hearty meal.

Cheers!
You can freeze and re-heat jambalaya. Over time in the freezer, the jambalaya will "dry" out so when you re-heat it, add a bit of water before you put it in the microwave (or however you heat it). You'll have to stir it when heating it in the microwave or only the outside will get hot.

But I'll bet if you make it, there won't be any left to freeze. I put the leftovers in the frig and we eat on it for the next few days. It's also a good dish to divide and give some to your neighbor. Helps keep them from complaining about the woodworking.

Mike

Shame on you,Mike. Here I am with a freezer full of Vegi soup I just made and you show this. I'm drooling all over my keyboard.

What is the total volumn at completion.

Bruce
I don't know if this is exactly what you're asking, but from looking at the pot, which is 12" across and about 3" deep, it appears that about 2 1/2 cups of rice with the other ingredients fills the pot to about 2" deep.

Computing the volume (pi * r^2 * h) gives about 226 cubic inches (if I did the math right). It could be a bit deeper than 2" so I'd say perhaps about 250 cubic inches.

But maybe I'm taking your question about volume too literally (I'm an engineer and my wife tells me I'm too literal). Were you asking the volume in "servings" or some other measure?

Mike

Way to much wrong info Mike :rofl:
I'm just waiting for a good etoufee recipe :thumb::thumb:

Jay

I'll definitely keep this one,:thumb: (printing it out as I type this), but I'd REALLY Love to have a good Etoufee recipe, (just had an order of Blackened orange Roughie w/crawfish Etoufee Tuesday night at "The Wall Street Bar & Grill" in Midland and it was GREAT). Crawfish Etoufee is one of my absolute favorite foods.:D

Thanks for this one, Mike.:thumb:

Way to much wrong info Mike :rofl:
I'm just waiting for a good etouffee recipe :thumb::thumb:

Jay

My wife won a competition with her etouffee. She is out of town for a while. I'll ask for the recipe when she gets back.
However, good food information and recipes are prevalent on the internet. A Google search will bring up tons and tons of information and recipes.

Thanks Frank
I went to Spartan in Tulsa with a couple of Cajuns and they taught me how to make one version of Etouffee but always looking for how others do it. The one I use has a ton of butter in it and shrimp. It is a good recipe but hard on the waist line and heart :rofl:

Jay

He Guys I just cooked up a big Ole batch of Mikes Jambalaya and MAN OH MAN if you haven't tried it yet you are in for a treat. My wife ate 2 plates of it and she doesn't like Creole or Cajun food. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Cant wait to try the Gumbo. :D

Thanks Mike would have taken a picture but it smelled to good to wait any longer. :rofl:

Jay

etouffee

OK, here is the etouffee reciepe I promised. My wife clipped it from a newspaper years ago. Rather than retype, I scanned.
Note: the roux is made with lard, not butter.

Attachments

• etouffee reciepe.jpg
    etouffee reciepe.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 15
Excellent tutorial Mike. I do my own cookin (it's just me'n the cat), and I'm definitely going to give this a go. I'm on a whole-grain brown rice kick these days, so I'll substitute that for white rice...did you ever use it?

Cheers.

I've used Brown rice lately. Biggest difference's are the cooking time (Takes a lot longer) and taste. It's got a 'nuttier' flavor.