Another round of Cutting Boards

Ned Bulken

Well the shop was at almost freezing temperatures, er, thawing temperatures today, so this evening I fired up the kero heater and electric radiator when I got home from work.

I headed out after supper and planed down some glued up phase I cutting boards. I then cut them into 1 1/4" (or so) wide strips. Then I planed some more strips to the same thickness which I'll glue up into more Phase I boards after I finish some 'home' work (dishes), and some work -work.

I've got one large board to make for the house, plus two for friends who asked for boards before the hollydaze. pics to follow in the morning.

These must not be end-grain boards if you're sending them through the planer. Doesn't the glue scrag the planer blades?

What is the advantage of end-grain cutting board?

Mark,
sure are end grain boards, sacrificial long grain boards on either end for the final planing solve the tear out problem according to Vaughn. I haven't used them yet. and yes the glue is a little rough on the blades, but they were/are old blades on there anyway. I also knock off as much of the glue as I can with a paint scraper.

As for the advantage, the end grain separates and heals up easier when the knife cuts into it, as compared to long grain boards.