In my infamous wisdom

Bill Simpson

In my infamous wisdom, I was making a few dowel joints, (simple project I am working on) aligning purfectly and putting witness marks and to be assured of correct order labeling ABC, etc. Here come the wisdom part... With each piece I restarted the ABCs Thats right, I had 4 sets of ABCD joints, problem is that all of them aren't identicle and even those that look the same are not the same and the glue is already applyed when the problem is discovered because "They don't Fit" :eek:

Fooled around and tried to force it (like that is going to work) OK, More clamps!!! (again, right that will work, NOT) Yes there is a rescue Spreader clamp will pull them apart... (Did I mention the force it and the more clamps process?) well guess what has happened, the glue has started to set, the dowels have absorbed the moisture from the glue and they are as tight as Dick's hatband. What to do? :huh:

Again the spreader clamp and a slight sliver of a crack appears. Just enough room for the flushcutting Pull saw to slide in there, sever the dowels and back to square one... Clean off the glue allow the dowels to set in their new home and re-do the holes tomorrow.

Next time remember there is LMNO and other great letters in the Alphabet, measure and mark all joint the same, Dry fit twice to be sure, mark off with witness tape, & Wash the glue off the saw before it dries. (I may need it again...:eek:

Thanks for putting up with my madness as SWMBO is not home and who else to rant about my stupidity... :wave:

Dry run, dry run, dry run. 9 times out of 10 when I don't (including the clamping) I regret it. The "I regret it" part rolls me onto the BTDT crowd ;-)

So...is your forehead bruised a bit from banging it repeatedly on the workbench? I know mine sure gets that way when I have similar foul-ups. :p

So...is your forehead bruised a bit from banging it repeatedly on the workbench? I know mine sure gets that way when I have similar foul-ups. :p

I thought that was your built-in dishing bowl, Vaughn! :rofl:

Bill, we really do learn best from mistakes. If I do something perfect once I'm not very likely to remember what I did to make it right. But if I royally drop the ball, I now know at least one thing not to do in the future.

Besides, if you end up making a really big doweled piece, this'll be a good excuse to learn the Greek and Cyrillic alphabets. :rofl:

Bill,

I did the same thing one time. Really makes for a bad day. The next time I was faced with the same potential problem, I thought about marking the next using E, F,G, H but instead, I used a 2 number system. A1, B1, C1, D1, and then for the next A2, B2, C2, D2, and so on until I had everything marked. Made the dry fit and then glue up more stress free.