Weekend do'ns

Don Baer

Staff member
OK we have another 3 day weekend upon us. Whatcha got planned.
I'll be in the shop Sat and sunday, finishing up the drawers for the Desk, sanding and such. I also am thinking about making a holder for my turning tools to try to keepem organised better. Monday we will be down in Tucson at my Brother-In-Laws. So whats going on with the rest of ya.

In laws are leaving today so I have to take them to the airport.:clap:

I have to get the Birdseye Maple bookcase finished up soon so that is probably going to keep me in the shop all weekend and maybe some of next week.

My Saturday to work, 8 til 1. After that I'm working on cutting an opening from the foyer into the hallway. LOML's is tired of the students having to go through the family room/kitchen to get to her studio for lessons. I've already cut the sheetrock off on the hallway side and moved an existing electrical outlet that was in the way. (Stepped through the ceiling in the family room in the process.
eek.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
)
Have to build a header and cut the studs out, then put it all back together and trim it out and paint. Shouldn't be too bad. Hope I can then get some shop time to do what I had planned on doing this weekend.
biggrin.gif
Jim.

Last edited:
After giving away almost all of my pens during the holidays, and having spent much of my free time in December installing fake-wood flooring in the basement, I'm a bit overdue for some pen-turning. Time to refill the propane tank and fire up the heater.

Cheers,

Kevin

Reorganizing my shop. I constantly feel the need to move things around, kinda like a hamster. Due to my lack of planning my shop is never really set up the way I want. That drives me to constantly move stuff around. This is one of the reasons I haven't built a detached shop. I think I am still in the learning stage of what works and what doesn't.

Reorganizing my shop. I constantly feel the need to move things around, kinda like a hamster.

And I thought that was just me!!:eek: I must be in good company!

My plans are to work on my wifes Christmas. Yes it is no where near done and she knew that and is OK with it. I finished up gifts for other people, one rather ungrateful one but we won't go there. :rolleyes:

I also would like to do some rearranging. I have a pedestal grinder in my truck to unload. A few things I would like to move out of my shop and clean up this last corner of the Lab. I have several pending projects (restorations) and I would like to clean up a corner I could devote to these. Plus I need space to store the machines if they all materialize.

It's a long story and I will go into details latter but I have the potential for 2 lathes coming in and of course the jointer I buying. Anyone want to buy a lathe?? I may have one for sale soon. ;)

I too am a rearranger. I always seem to have some tool that doesn't fit, in the wrong place.

Working on cabinets tomorrow and sunday am.

Will be working on the shop ceiling monday. Have about 20 sheets of osb to put up yet. Some of it is over my lumber racks. Not going to be fun.

Need to move my second lathe over by my hydraulic lathe I just moved.

Hoping to do some cleanup in the shop...it's a mess from the pre-Christmas rush. I've put any lathe projects on hold pending the arrival of a new VS belt for my lathe. (Sears is charging me over $60 for the stinkin' belt, but I checked around and it's apparently a proprietary belt...I can't find it anywhere else.) I've got some flatwork projects in the planning (or customer deciding) stages, but I've enjoyed having the last few nights free from the shop. I still have to get the last of the post-Christmas parcels to the Post Office.

I also have some recently snagged hunks of wood to cut up and see what sort of salvageable turning wood lurks within. I hope to get into some of that this weekend, but if not, it'll wait.

Lastly, I need to have another orange harvesting session in the back yard, with a few lemons thrown in for variety. :)

Picked up some more wallpaper, so I'll be paperin' and paintin' this weekend. I cut up some maple blocks to glue up for my first bowl this evening. Cleaning and rearranging some tools, and loading the trailer up for a recycle run is also on the schedule. We still have snow/ice on the ground, so I'll probably have to wait till later next week to make the run, but at least the trailer will be loaded and the garage a bit more empty.

Working, working and then, working...........:rolleyes:

Busy time of year at the Liquor shop, on the first, we are going shopping at Costco, kind of a family tradition around here :eek:

The 2nd, we go to my buddy Kajimoto's place down in Zushi, Alex is there too, so I'll get to see his workshop and give him a good dozen turning blanks! :thumb:

On the third, back to work :(

I'll make some sawdust, sit around a bit, maybe add to Wal-Marts sales figures for the year today. Tomorrow will be devoted to loafing and watching the football Arkansas Razorbacks play Wisconsin Badgers in the Capitol One Bowl. Supposed to be a tight game. Both are fairly well matched in terms of player skills, win/loss etc. but have completely different styles. I fear Arkansas will learn a hard lesson for not passing more.

I've put any lathe projects on hold pending the arrival of a new VS belt for my lathe. (Sears is charging me over $60 for the stinkin' belt, but I checked around and it's apparently a proprietary belt...I can't find it anywhere else.)

Vaughn,
Have you taken the old belt to Kaman or any of the other big bearing houses. They're pretty good at subbing in replacement belts. I know they did a good job for me when I broke the belt on my Craftsmen Band saw. Also try Palmgern (Palmgren.com). I believe they make that lathe for sears.

Morning all..

Put on a pot of coffee and head to the shop as yesterday. Work seems to always be in progress. You would think after 35 years that the "First Lady" (17years with that title) would quit throwing requisitions in the "in-box"! You would think.. but she is younger and she can fill out requisitons faster than I can clear them out. ha.. ha...

Her latest is white oak country kitchen table. Already got the chairs done on my new Steel City 18" BS (suppose she is trying to get her money's worth?). Mock up of base is complete as of last nite (1st pic) with tenons, saddle and lap joints trimmed to fit. The top has been ripped and surface jointed to size and awaits on the assembly table in the rear of 2nd pic. The edges get hand jointed today with a hand plane to get that perfect "kiss" before the top glue up begins.

Holiday? What is a holiday?? But.. I love the smell of freshly planed wood and the whisping sound of a hand plane shooting a joint to precision. After 35 years I just keep coming back for more! :>)

Regards...

JT.. sarge

Attachments

• tableinprogress.jpg
    tableinprogress.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 11
  • next.jpg
    next.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 10
Snowed in...

At least it melts pretty quick around here. About a foot now and still snowing. The town only has two plows, and two operators, so catch up is slow. Already got stuck once, thats what I get for being too lazy to put some rocks in the truck :doh:

Well, off to shovel some more.

Me too

At least it melts pretty quick around here. About a foot now and still snowing. The town only has two plows, and two operators, so catch up is slow. Already got stuck once, thats what I get for being too lazy to put some rocks in the truck :doh:

Well, off to shovel some more.

Hey John,
I thought NM snow melted the same day!:doh: :doh:

Our dirt driveway goes up a hill, makes La Bajada (nasty hill on the way to Santa Fe for you outa-staters) look like a piece of cake. At least I've got a lot of sanding to do, small pieces that need hand sanding - the kinda stuff I usually find an excuse to delay.:p :p

Adding insult to injury, I think the web is slow today cuz everyone is snowed in and doing this :type: :type: :type:

Hi Jesse

I remember it snowing in Tucson once on Easter Sunday. Got about an inch and it had melted by evening.

Had great fun this afternoon watching a grader pull out a stuck snowplow. Ripped the bumper right off, plow and all. I did get to spend a little time in the shop, cut up a bit of scrap for kindling and burnished out a milk painted cabinet.

Our drive is also impossible in this kind of weather. I waded up to the house to get a tow chain, but haven't tried to drive past the trailer yet. Luckily for us, we're house sitting for some friends who have a wood stove.

Happy sanding!

No woodworking, wrapped up my LOML Xmas present, tiling the kitchen. Had to replace a piece after I knocked the hammer off the counter.:doh: :doh:

Turned out real nice. I had some tile left over so i went ahead and tiled to kids bathroom. I'll grout it tomorrow evening. Tomorrow afternoon I'm taking the 2 oldest sons to the Tampa/Seattle football game.

Hopefully everybody has a safe and wonderful New Years Eve.

Regards

Randy

Vaughn,
Have you taken the old belt to Kaman or any of the other big bearing houses. They're pretty good at subbing in replacement belts. I know they did a good job for me when I broke the belt on my Craftsmen Band saw. Also try Palmgern (Palmgren.com). I believe they make that lathe for sears.
I hadn't thought of trying to get someone loke Kaman to match it. One problem for me is finding and getting to those types of shops in person, during their working hours. (If they were open at 2:00 AM I'd be there tomorrow.) ;)

It's a Bando brand belt, and I called a couple of Bando distributors who'd never heard of the model number. Their guess was it was a proprietary one made for Sears/Palmgren. I've already ordered and paid for this one from Sears, but the next time around I'll try Palmgren and see if they are not quite so proud (price-wise) of them as Sears is.

Thanks for the suggestions -