salad oil finish?

Frank Fusco

In the paper today was one of those articles about how to make and do things 'naturally'. One of the tips was to make your own furniture finish with a mixture of olive oil and vinegar. I almost automatically made a salad when I read that. :rofl:
Enneyhow, I know lots of folks here don't like the notion of using olive oil on furniture, particularly food utensils because of the risk of spoilage. Now, I've been Italian for a long time. :rolleyes: All of our salad bowls, kitchen utensils, cutting boards, and even my grand mothers counter tops were treated with olive oil. I do not recall, ever, a single incident of anything turning rancid. And, it is my understanding this is a many-many centuries old accepted practice.
But, I digress. Wadday'all think of using this salad oil finish on things like table tops? I'm kinda doubty about the notion.

I don't know either, Frank, but I think I might try some on something to see. I would wonder if it would dry very fast or leave a film or residue that would get on things like paper or cloth.

Eh, you Grandmama's counter tops never spoil, eh? Musta be she's use da gen-u-wine eyetalian olive's oil, no? Notta da makea believe stuff.
(Hey I'm Italian too, well, Sicilian actually, and we supposed to "know" olive oil, no?)

I'm all for that salad too, Frank.

Aloha, Tony

I don't know either, Frank, but I think I might try some on something to see. I would wonder if it would dry very fast or leave a film or residue that would get on things like paper or cloth.

Eh, you Grandmama's counter tops never spoil, eh? Musta be she's use da gen-u-wine eyetalian olive's oil, no? Notta da makea believe stuff.
(Hey I'm Italian too, well, Sicilian actually, and we supposed to "know" olive oil, no?)

I'm all for that salad too, Frank.

Aloha, Tony

I would never risk arguing with a Sicilian. ;)

My concern would go more on the fact of mixing vinegar with it, I believe that vinegar may affect wood colour as any other acid may do.

the effect of oil on wood, whether is tung oil, linseed oil, olive oil, or whatever I guess will be quite similar after all they are all vegetable oils, although some of them may perform better like tung oil for instance specially if exposed to elements:dunno:

Being a Portuguese dude and proud of it :thumb: I don't mind saying...I love olive oil. Modern day Olive oil has an Open-bottle-life of 2-3 months if stored properly. I'm kinda fond of mineral oil although recent "Turning Laws" frown :( on applying anything made from light sweet crude to an eating surface. I'm just gonna wipe a lemon on everything from now on :bang::mad::confused:

...I'm kinda fond of mineral oil although recent "Turning Laws" frown :( on applying anything made from light sweet crude to an eating surface. I'm just gonna wipe a lemon on everything from now on :bang::mad::confused:
I hadn't seen any badmouthing of mineral oil. What's the issue that people have with it?

Posted in General turning last week..."Turning Truths"

31 - Before using Mineral Oil, keep the customer in mind (again). Ask yourself if you would want to use a salad bowl that was covered with the same thing that your mother gave you as a laxative when you were a child.

I used it on maple boards with the only down side being clogged sandpaper :doh:

Posted in General turning last week..."Turning Truths"

31 - Before using Mineral Oil, keep the customer in mind (again). Ask yourself if you would want to use a salad bowl that was covered with the same thing that your mother gave you as a laxative when you were a child.

I used it on maple boards with the only down side being clogged sandpaper :doh:
Thanks, Jim. I saw that as one person's opinion and discounted it more as a joke than anything else. If there's so much oil on the salad bowl that it's getting into the food, then it's too oily. :p Wipe it off.

I'll still take mineral oil over veggie oils any day, since I have seen (and smelled) the veggie-treated pieces go rancid.

I'm gonna agree with Vaughn on this. I can't see that there would be much transfer of the oil finish to foods if it isn't overly applied and left too wet. I believe the oil is more to seal the wood and therefore shouldn't be applied in such excess to leave a residue. A good wipedown after application of the mineral oil should do the trick.

Enjoy the salad.

Aloha, Tony

Agreement all around. Mineral oil has been the standard for years. I guess the upside of using too much would be adding some vinegar for instant dressing :p:rofl: sorry :eek:

Mineral oil ,or mineral oil and wax have been the finishes of choice for butcher blocks,cutting boards, and other wooden utensils for many many years. After its applied it is wiped dry and more applied as needed. We all agree it is safe for humans.

Regards

Jerry

Personally I think the Green Nazis are going too far. There are things need to do and must do but Geeze Whiz (not Cheese Whiz)

As far as your Grannie's kitchen tools not going rancid, they most likely didn't have time as they were constantly being used, re-germed, cleaned, re-used, re-germed and re-oiled and re-used, etal. Also our bodies were accustomed to these nasty critters as we ran and played barefoot from dawn to dark, A decent germ didn't have a chance so today's society has developed new ones to force us back to basics. Is it Progress or Digress?

If Pro is for, and Con is against... How does that place Congress on the subject of Progress? :huh: :eek:

Wonder how it would look with Bleu Cheese? :dunno:

As for the Mineral Oil discussion check this list of accomplishments out... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

But does it make a good FINISH? The meaning of finish in my opinion refers to being done, complete and not need further attention. Such an oil treatment is not a finish but a "treament"... the same with Italian Dressing (It may help you finish off a bowl of salad but won't finish the salad bowl, just treats it.)

Last edited: