Oval table top

Al killian

Well the wife wants a oval table that is 72" L x 36" w and exspands to around 96" or so. Now this has me stumped as to how the heck the would work.:huh::dunno: If you strech out a oval it will change shape and the extensions will not fit proper. Looking for ideas on how to do this. My idea was to make it like a oval when closed, but when stretched it will look more lick a pickle has the wife said.:rofl: And when asked what type of wood she wanted, she said what ever as long as it has a pretty look to it.:doh:

That sounds like a idea. Want something real funny? She asked if I good make it with one one small column under the middle to hold it up.:rofl::rofl::doh:

Al, I wonder if you are thinking of an ellipse. An oval has straight sides and a circular radius at each end. Often an ellipse is called an oval but they really are different.

Here's an oval table:
Oval_Table_Lg.JPG

And here's an elliptical table:
oval%20table%20big.jpg

If she wants an elliptical extension table, make the sides of the extension(s) straight and put them in the middle.

dave`s 100% correct (of course;))........
much easier to do your first single curvature project by incorporating straight sides. a pedestal base really isn`t that dificult even with extentions. holler if you decide to go any further with the idea.

Thanks, She says elliptical table w/ two pedestals under it. Mow for the fun part trying to lay one out that looks good. I am going to the lumber yard tommrow and picking up a few sheets of hardboard for templates.

Hmm...then what do you call that shape of two semi circles joined by two parallel line segments?

I would argue Dave is correct in calling it an oval. If you look at the definition
In technical drawing an oval (from Latin ovum, 'egg') is a figure constructed from two pairs of arcs, with two different radii (see image on the right). The arcs are joined at a point, in which lines tangential to both joining arcs lie on the same line, thus making the joint smooth. Any point of an oval belongs to an arc with a constant radius (shorter or longer), whereas in an ellipse the radius is continously changing.

The figure Dave suggests fits the definition, Two pairs of arcs, with two different radii. The second pair of arcs has a radius approaching infinity, resembling a straight line.

Man, I should have been a Lawyer! :rofl:
Tony

It seems like we could go around and around about what an oval is. Let's work on how to get Al's elliptical table to look good with an extension in it. ;)

...Let's work on how to get Al's elliptical table to look good with an extension in it. ;)
Easy...square off the ends and build a rectangle. :rofl:

If the arc of each side is consistent, it seems one could make an extension that continued that arc, instead of sticking straight edges in the middle of a flowing curve. The extension would be the widest section of the table. I'm not on a computer with SU right now (and probably couldn't draw what I'm thinking of anyway), so I don't know if this suggestion makes any sense.

I was wondering about some sort of arrangement where the extensions are wedges that increase the overall size of the table top.

Evidently that shape with the two semicircles and the parallel straight lines is called a stadium.

If the arc of each side is consistent, it seems one could make an extension that continued that arc, instead of sticking straight edges in the middle of a flowing curve. The extension would be the widest section of the table. I'm not on a computer with SU right now (and probably couldn't draw what I'm thinking of anyway), so I don't know if this suggestion makes any sense.

Good idea, but no cigar. If you cut the table without extensions, the edge at the cut would be a right angle... it has to be ready to start getting narrow again as you go around the table. If you did the oval/ellipse with the extensions in place, the edge at the joint would be pointed when you took the extensions out.

Whatever shape you choose for the ends (semicircular, ellipse, etc.) I suggest that you make the extensions straight like the stadium...

with all of this debate, one would think that this would be a good time for you to turn to your beloved, and say, you know, this would be a good project for you to start your woodworking experience... :D

Good idea, but no cigar. If you cut the table without extensions, the edge at the cut would be a right angle... it has to be ready to start getting narrow again as you go around the table. If you did the oval/ellipse with the extensions in place, the edge at the joint would be pointed when you took the extensions out.

Whatever shape you choose for the ends (semicircular, ellipse, etc.) I suggest that you make the extensions straight like the stadium...

Charlie, you beat me to it, but you're absolutely correct.:thumb: NO extension can be made that doesn't change the arc of the oval where it meets the original top pieces. Sooooooo, extensions would need to have STRAIGHT ends. (Just seat the two Fattest Guests across from each other in the middle of the table when the extensions are in, and NO ONE will NOTICE the straight sides of the table).:rofl::rofl::rofl: