I've been watching the same one, and have come to the same conclusion. :rolleyes: That's too rich for my blood, for a piece that size.

Box elder is boffo bucks on ebay. I guess most think it's wood from the gods or some such madness :rolleyes: . I still have some pen and bowl blanks that were cheap by by those standards :D

Oh come on Chuck you old money bags you.:rofl::rofl::rofl: You know that would make a great piece.:D

I have been watching it to. So I just bought a big cherry piece 11 X 4 and a piece of walnut 10 X 4. Both for about $40 shipped. The walnut came fromt he same guy. I buy a lot of wood from him and Gene has some fine wood. I have never had a bad piece from him.

Last edited:
I have great difficulty dealing with the concept of actually paying for wood.
I must be spoiled or something. ;) I even gave almost a truck load of nice turning hunks to a friend recently, and still can't get into my garage.
When the weather breaks, I'll be cutting up a large walnut tree and a big persimmon. Then, I'll head out to where a professional woodcutter does his milling and bring back a truck and trailer load of discarded burls.
And folks, some from here, just send me wood to be nice. :)
I may have to cough up some bucks for a sheet of plywood though one day soon. That hurts. :eek:

I just can't believe it

61.00 bucks ea???? WOW I got a cotten pickin fortune up in NC.I figure at those prices I got about 300.00 bucks worth layin around that I got for around $40.00.

what dimensions are the blanks in question?
The original one Chuck mentioned was 9" x 4". Not too long ago something like would be selling for about $25 or so on eBay. This particular piece has a lot of the red coloring, but the bid going over $50 was getting ridiculous, IMHO.

I just can't believe it

I have been to a LOT of auctions and when it was mentioned about folks not looking around and finding out what something is worth,they just look at it and think I WANT THAT and there not gettin it,and they go nuts,I love that attitude when I'm selling something.

Seems like I'm sitting on a small fortune in box elder and maple. A friend of mine cut down over 2 dozen trees last year to clear a spot for a house. Don't know if there's any color in the box elder. I'll find out in spring. Anyone coming to the milwaukee area bring a chain saw. You can have all you want.