hunka wood question

Frank Fusco

I was given this hunk of mulberry. It is well aged indoors, maybe ten years. I'm not sure if I should try turning into a large bowl (after pre-rounding with the chain saw) or splitting in two and making two vases. Remember, my lathe is a 1/2 hp with slowest speed of600 rpm. The hunk is about 19"X14"X9" thick.
p.s. that's not a split on top, it's a saw mark.

Attachments

• mulberry.jpg
    mulberry.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 12
Frank,
I've turned bowls up to 12" on my Rikon with it's 1/2 hp motor. The lowest speed is 420 so I have about 50% more torque then you do and it's slow going. You have to take very light passes due to the power required to remove material at the outside of the bowls.

After carefully studying the picture, I've come to the conclusion that the best solution would be for you to box that nasty old piece of dried-out wood up and send it to me.

Problem solved. :)

My lathe goes a little slower than yours, but I'd think with care and light cuts you could make a bowl with that hunk. Since it's dry, it's likely to be a rough ride, especially at first, but still doable. On the other hand you could get two pieces for the price of one if you go with the vase idea. I guess it all boils down to which option is in your comfort zone.