Distracted While Skiing

Don Orr

My wife and I were XC skiing at a ski center in Vermont in the Green Mountain National Forest on Saturday. I had a real hard time paying attention to the trail. I was seriously distracted by the extensive proliferation of Cherry burls everywhere I looked. I have never seen so many burls in one area before. It was amazing. If I had a bigger backpack, I might have brought some home. I saw a couple of real nice ones on a tree about 2-3" in diameter. The burls were about 10-12" diameter. Normally I would not even consider killing a live tree, but these particular burls were in a dense stand of young Cherry trees in a managed forest. I did manage to bring home a nice piece of Cherry burl from the firewood pile of the ski center (with permission !)

There were also lots of moose tracks in the snow but we did not see an actual moose :-(

Attachments

• Burl Skiing.jpg
    Burl Skiing.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 87
All that is alive must die sometime and I can think of no better time than now for cherry. That's a mighty impressive photo...worthy of
George Washington :rolleyes:

I like the way Jim thinks. :p

Don, that looks like a job for Midnight Mike's Tree Removal and Undertaking Service. :D Great-looking burl. It's gonna kill the tree anyway...makes you want to put it out of its misery, huh?

My wife and I were XC skiing at a ski center in Vermont in the Green Mountain National Forest on Saturday. I had a real hard time paying attention to the trail. I was seriously distracted by the extensive proliferation of Cherry burls everywhere I looked. I have never seen so many burls in one area before. It was amazing. If I had a bigger backpack, I might have brought some home. I saw a couple of real nice ones on a tree about 2-3" in diameter. The burls were about 10-12" diameter. Normally I would not even consider killing a live tree, but these particular burls were in a dense stand of young Cherry trees in a managed forest. I did manage to bring home a nice piece of Cherry burl from the firewood pile of the ski center (with permission !)

There were also lots of moose tracks in the snow but we did not see an actual moose :-(

Ya think maybe that the reason there were SOOOOO many Burls on the Cherry trees is probably because in the past when there were MORE Moose in the area, the Skiers got distracted looking at the Moose and ran into the Cherry Trees, causing damage & the start of a Burl Growth.:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: