Build a Small Cabinet

Anybody looked at this video/sketchup drawing on the Fine Woodworking site. If so, are the drawer runners correct in the plans? It looks like there's an extra notch in the front of the runner and the overall length is 1/16" too long.

This cabinet?

c3ef7f2a.jpg

All the parts fit when I drew them.

Yes, that is the one. It looks to me like the back of the front blade is flush with the back of the front leg, so I question the two notches in the front of the drawer runner. And perhaps the one notch should be 3/8 instead of 5/16 (that would explain my extra 1/16").

Thanks Dave and here's a shot of where I'm having the problem. Probably I goofed something up, but everything else seems to fit ok.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 41
Charlie, I think you've got the runner turned around. There's only a tenon on front end of the runner. The rear end of the runner is notched to fit around the rear leg and the rear apron isn't flush with the inside corner of the leg. I'm guessing that's where you're seeing the double notch.

Crossed posts.

I can't quite tell from your drawing but I do think you've drawn it incorrectly.

I found a copy of the model on my computer. Here's a shot of the same area you posted.

cabinetcloseup.jpg

Charlie, the slot on the drawer front is 5/8 deep and 1/4" wide. The rabbet on the drawer front leaves a 1/4" thick tongue that is 9/16 wide. There is a 1/16" wide reveal on the bottom. The plan for this is correct as far as the drawing goes.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pain, but the published plan (page 7) shows the rabbets as 1/4", not 9/16". Further it seems the rabbet must be >= 5/8" before it can bottom out in the groove on the drawer front. I've looked all over the site but can't find a contact for the author- can you share it?

Sorry, I shouldn't have indicated that the tongue would bottom out in the grrove. I've edited that part of my post. I did give you the correct dimensions though.

The rabbet on the sides of the bottom are 1/4" wide. The one on the front is 9/16".

As I indicated before, they must have used an earlier version of the drawing for the plan. I've measured the final version to give you the dimensions.

Draw it to fit. It's your model.

The bottom width dimensions out at 11-15/16". the overall width of the drawer is 12-3/16". The sides are 3/8" thick and the plows are 1/8" deep. The rabbet on the sides of the drawer bottom are 1/4" wide. This leaves a 1/8" gap between the shoulder of the rabbet and the side of the drawer. That is to allow you some room to trim the bottom panel to fit without having to trim the shoulder too.

Charlie, if you have any further questions regarding this drawing please either e-mail me or send me a private message.