ice storm coming

And so it begins... It started snowing about an hour ago. Got about an inch so far. Latest guess is now up to 10~12" by tomorrow afternoon. Oh, Joy!

Royal & Tony must have missed this thread, so I will help them out.

"Got plenty of cold drinks, new tube of sun tan lotion, beach umbrella positioned just right and the surf board is all waxed up."

I've been reading too. Kind of worried about family back in Western New York.

We had about 60 deg here today and it's 66 now, with 13 mph nw winds.

I was out trimming hedges today and I agree with Royall, it was cold in the wind. My old bones can't take a lot of this.

Stay warm and safe everyone.

Aloha, Tony

Sleet started here about an hour ago, after light freezing rain all day, though no real street problems that I saw. May be a mess in the morning. The yard is almost white already. Our 8 year old Irish spent about 10 minutes out in it after her supper, came in with sleet all over her and looked up at me, like, yea, that's fun!! Irish Setters are almost as fun as kids in wintry weather. ;) Jim.

I took a walk into the garage.....and I have a problem, happens maybe once every 5 years or so.
The quick snowfall last night that turned into heavy rain all night and day has cause a tremendous amount of slush.
The slush builds so heavy it doesnt permit the driveway to actively let the flow go downhill and drain off all the water...it pools in the mounds of slush.
It gets backed up over the lip and goes into the garage......ofcourse, everything is lifted for this reason, wood is piled on sticks, all wheels are down during heavy constant rains, but today was bad....I was out there in the pooring rain shoveling slush and pushing water...think I licked it, actually hope so, cause my back is done for a month.(my wife was out there with me, and I hate making her do this junk since its her vacation days)

Well, it seems to be over here. Not as bad as predicted, thankfully.

We got maybe three/four inches of snow last night, then it turned to freezing rain and beat the snow down somewhat, leaving about a half inch ice crust on it. Then, around 7:00 this morning, it started snowing again and dumped maybe five more inches on top of the ice crust.

I plowed the driveway and blew off the sidewalks three times today. The storm is now headed pretty much straight for Ned and Mark. Good luck, guys!

So, we're clear for now, but they're forecasting 3~5 more inches of show for tomorrow night - lake effect this time...

So, we're clear for now, but they're forecasting 3~5 more inches of show for tomorrow night - lake effect this time...

Glad it wasn't worse for y'all. I slud around Rome today, spending as much time as I could holed up in several large retail parking lots in my van, avoiding most of the traffic and idjits sliding around on the snow. One Idjit was making an extreme effort to power slide in his jeep, I was waiting for hiim to catch a curb or a snowbank just wrong and flip it (he was easily doing 40mph when the sane folks were at most doing 20-25 at that point)

Just guessing but I think we got in the predicted 6-8" range. It was pretty windy so I had drifts to my knees and other spots only ankle deep. By noon the sun was out, but it was snowing heavily this morning so school was canceled.

It was a whole lot of nothing here.

They were predicting 12-24 inches of snow last night with potential for icing, but we got only 9 inches of pure snow so they did not even cancel school. We have perhaps 3 feet on the ground now. Not a whole lot, but enough to snowmobile on.

JPG1.jpg

JPG2.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures from my home town of Union City, Tennessee, in the far northwest corner of Tennessee about 9 miles south of the Kentucky line. The storm that came through hit only that corner of the state and just brought two counties to a complete standstill. The next town to the east - Martin - got a little bit of snow and NO ICE!! 11 miles away! My brother-in-law took these pictures Wednesday morning; there was about an inch of ice on all the trees and limbs were snapping off all over the place. The first picture is of the Confederate Monument and cemetery just across the street from their house, and it looks like a war zone - some of these trees are more than 100 years old. A limb came down on top of their dog pen/run and their lab was going nutz. Another limb came down at the house behind them and brought down a power line and they (and my mother) were without power for about 6 hours. They aren't having much fun.

here`s a shot taken tues night while it was raining/freezing.....this is a cedar tree with golfball sized ice nodules.

ice storm 1 28 continues 005.jpg

Well that was worse than expected. Been without power for over 2 days. Got snow, then over 2 inches of ice then 6 inches of snow. Took over 2 hours to cut out the driveway. Lots of hardwoods are now cut up and going to be used as firewood. Town across the river in Ky is shutdown. No power, no water, no nothing. Will probably head there tomorrow to see what I can do to help out.

My daughter just phoned us that she was heading into Buffalo tonight, but the snow was just coming down too heavy she had to turn around and forget visiting her friends. she sent us a picture couple days ago, the snow is piled 6 feet high in front of her house.(a little south of buffalo)
Its been a tough winter up there considering the past 3 or 4 havent been so bad except for that unexpected October snowfall a while back.

I really don't know how you guys do it down there. I can tolerate some snow and cold, but an ice storm is a different story. The destruction is massive. We have only had two major ones here and I must say, I feel for you guys. I'll take -45.2 below zero f any day over an ice storm.