Mini stuff - Bed and Dresser

Well my neice Zoey (the one in my picture who is not my daughter :)) had her 4th birthday party this weekend, and since I'm still off work I had some time to put this together for her as a present. It is a Barbie-sized bed and dresser. She's getting to that age where she is becoming interested in barbies. My mom also repainted an old dollhouse my sister (Zoey's mom) had as a child and gave it to Zoey as a present.

I made it from scrap that I had left over from building the crib :thumb: so it is all poplar. I used the same paint/finish I had left over from the crib also, which is General Finish's white Polyacrylic. And again like the crib, didn't have any plans I just kinda made it up as I went along. Angie helped me paint again :thumb: and make the matress/pillow so that was an awesome help and she enjoyed it. Zoey was thrilled to get her Barbie presents and maybe I'll make her a longer dresser with a mirror next or something? :dunno: Anyways, thanks for lookin!

A pic of the sides of the dresser, all mini-dadoed...

IMG_2064 (600 x 450).jpg

I didn't get any time to take pics of the bed completed so I asked my sister to do it tonight and email me the pics. She did so, and I think she draped a black sheet behind them so sorry if they look a little odd, or kind of fake and cropped for that matter lol...

DSC00411[1] (600 x 337).jpg
DSC00413 (600 x 337).jpg
DSC00417 (600 x 337).jpg
DSC00419 (600 x 337).jpg
DSC00408 (600 x 337).jpg

Well, it's a little too pink for my tastes.... ;) Seriously, I think you (and Angie) did an awesome job! :thumb:

Come on Angie, be honest; were you sad to see the Barbie furniture go? :p

Very cool, Westley. How tall is the dresser? It looks awesome.

I think the first thing I made out of wood when I got my first saw and hammer -- at the age of about seven -- was a Barbie couch and bed for my sisters. (Just nailed together fruit crate wood, back when fruit was shipped in wooden crates.)

man that looks like it would take a little patience. very nice westley. i am sure she will love it and get much enjoyment out of it.

how did you connect the drawer boxes together? what thickness is that material?

thanks
chris

Hey thanks everyone! It was fun putting it together.

...how did you connect the drawer boxes together? what thickness is that material?...

thanks
chris

The drawers along with almost everything else are held together with CA glue. I pretty much just cut all the pieces and then CA glued them and held everything by hand for about 30 seconds and just moved on to the next item. The only part that I didn't use CA glue on is the "carcass" of the dresser cus I dadoed everything out and then glued every dado, shelf, and the back peice, and then clamped it all together. I needed more open time for that so I just used wood glue. Otherwise everything went pretty quick thanks to the ol' CA :thumb:

I used my bandsaw and the woodslicer blade (thanks to you guys!) to cut veneers to make everything. Everything is pretty much an 1/8" thick. With the exception of the dresser top cus that's 2 peices glued together after I sanded a little bevel on one. And the "shelves" on the bed are a little thinner cus they were just scraps I had laying around.

Very cool, Westley. How tall is the dresser? It looks awesome.

I think the first thing I made out of wood when I got my first saw and hammer -- at the age of about seven -- was a Barbie couch and bed for my sisters. (Just nailed together fruit crate wood, back when fruit was shipped in wooden crates.)

The dresser is about 7" tall if I remember correctly. Well that was pretty caring of you to make your sisters that when you were a kid, what a nice brother :thumb: Holy macro when fruit was shipped in wooden crates? I have no clue when that was, did you have color tv yet? :rofl: Just kiddin Vaughn :)

Well, it's a little too pink for my tastes.... ;) Seriously, I think you (and Angie) did an awesome job! :thumb:

Come on Angie, be honest; were you sad to see the Barbie furniture go? :p

...Kerry I think deep down inside she was crushed, just didn't want to admit it :)

Thanks again everyone!

... Holy macro when fruit was shipped in wooden crates? I have no clue when that was, did you have color tv yet?...
Not yet. Sunday evenings our family would go to my grandparent's house to watch Bonanza, since they had a color TV and we didn't. :D

There's dirt that's younger than me. :rofl:

That's pretty good "makin' it up as you go along" Westley. I'd at least have had to sketch it out. I like what your sis did with the backdrop...makes the light-colored pieces stand out. Good job to all.

Cheers.