My Namibia December holiday.

Fascinating.
The photos leave a mix of emotions and reactions in me.
I'm amazed that you ventured on a trip like that with a fairly ordinary car and not Land Rover.
There were many dangers but the water would scare me the most.
Glad you and your family stayed well.

That looks like a great trip, Uys. :thumb: Thanks for posting the links, and for going to the trouble to translate from your original version.

Frank, I suspect that fairly ordinary car might surprise you. ;)

It surprises a lot of Land Rovers as well!!:rofl:
I'm assuming the "Fortuner" in your signature line on that forum is the model of your car. Here in the states that's the "Highlander". Not real common for off-roading here, but yours obviously gets the job done nicely.

I've got the Lexus based on that Toyota chassis, the RX300. It's only front wheel drive, without the low range and the diesel engine, so I don't really consider it to be an off-road vehicle. Makes for a very comfy city and highway vehicle, though.

Vaughn

Yes, the Fortuner is based on the Hilux Pick up platform. I have a 3.0l Common rail intercooled diesel which is good for 120kW and 343 Nm. Instead of the rear leaf springs, it has coils, which is not very good for load carrying, but is for comfort. To overcome the load carrying I fitted air helper springs, which is basically a air bag fitted inside my rear coil springs.

I thought all RX300 are AWD? In SA they are.

Ah, I didn't realize it was based on the Hilux. It's more truck-like than I thought, as it has the ladder frame chassis. I believe the RX300 is on a Camry unibody chassis (as is the Highlander). The front wheel drive is about as common over here as the AWD version. It's my first vehicle in over 20 years that's not 4WD. (I do have a 4X4 Ford Ranger for a lumber hauler, but I got it used a couple years ago and I've not really had it off-road.)

Your Fortuner is outfitted nicely. :thumb: Sounds like a comfortable, yet capable ride.

Hey, what a great read!

Thanks for taking the time to translate that into English for us :thumb:

I'm not that surprised by the performance of your Toyota :D

When I was about 18 or so, a buddy had a VW Carmengia, light blue with a red stripe, we called it "Fred" :D

I cannot count the times when we would be sitting up on top of some hill waiting for the guys with the big 4WD Fords and Chevy trucks, were spinning and slipping their way to the top.....
:D