Dad's cookin

Paul Downes

Since I retired and the wife went back to work I get to feed the bunch at home. Tonight I made PCB sandwiches. Yah I know, the name might cause alarm for some of you. When I named this fine cuisine I realized the humor in the name. Can you say peanut butter/ cabbage and bacon sandwiches?:D I take after my late father who was always experimenting on us poor kids. At least it wasn't octopus or squid or cactus candy. I thought I'd toss my cookies when he served us that stuff.

I ate a lot of my dad's experimental food when I was growing up, but I don't think he came up with anything quite as um...interesting...as PCB sandwiches. :p Actually, sounds like it might not be bad. (Although I'm not much of a cabbage fan, with enough PB and bacon on it, just about anything is edible.)

Sounds "interesting" Paul. I remember an episode of the TV show "Laverne and Shirley" when the girls, trying to make money with the little they had, sold Bacon, Lettuce, and Potato sandwiches. They thought if you said it fast enough, no one would notice.

Hey Paul,
Just a quick tip for you. Crock pot cooking is really easy and generally takes a small amount of prep time. Oh... and what comes out is almost always super yummy and perfectly cooked. (it's also fun to experiment with what goes in the pot ;) )

Here's a sample recipe for a family of 5:
In a 6 quart crockpot place 5 large white or red (thin skin not russet) potatoes washed, cut in half and then quartered
drizzle on about a tablespoon or so of olive oil and sprinkle with spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion flakes, ground rosemary & thyme work well)
Stir that all up really well so the potatoes are nicely coated.
On top of the potatoes place a lightly seasoned 24oz boneless center cut pork roast.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours OR high for one hour then turn down to low for 6-8 hours.
Comes out really yummy every time and NOT dried out!
AND as an added bonus.. the only pot/pan used to cook with it the crockpot so there are less dishes to do!

You can use the same basic guide for a whole roaster chicken as well. I usually throw in some baby carrots too.
Again you can use the same recipe for a beef pot roast; though for that first brown all sides of the roast well on the stove before transferring it to the crockpot, and add 2 cups of hot water/beef broth, and put your veggies in on top. Cover and cook 10-12 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high

PCB sandwiches, that is funny! :rofl:

Kalea, I used to have a crockpot when I was in Uni, they would not allow us even a hotplate in our dorm rooms, but a crockpot was OK. I just kept adding stuff to that pot of goodness, sometimes for a week, before I'd wash it out and start over again, dunno how I never got sick :rolleyes: :eek: :D

I guess I was lucky, but yeah, you are right, they are really good to cook in, and it is amazing the stuff that went into that pot that would all come out tasting so fine :thumb:

PCB sandwiches, that is funny! :rofl:

Kalea, I used to have a crockpot when I was in Uni, they would not allow us even a hotplate in our dorm rooms, but a crockpot was OK. I just kept adding stuff to that pot of goodness, sometimes for a week, before I'd wash it out and start over again, dunno how I never got sick :rolleyes: :eek: :D

I guess I was lucky, but yeah, you are right, they are really good to cook in, and it is amazing the stuff that went into that pot that would all come out tasting so fine :thumb:
Stuff only makes you sick if it isn't refrigerated..... if you kept it turned on there was no chance for anything to *grow* and even if you turned it off and back on, chances are anything that was growing got dead after being heated again for so long.
One of the best things I like about it is that even after cooking veggies for hours and hours they still come out nicely tender instead of mushy and gross.

. Tonight I made PCB sandwiches. Yah I know, the name might cause alarm for some of you. .

Wow Paul go this far and was reading Printed Circuit Board sanwhich, :rofl: You had me going for a second.:rofl::rofl:

Kalea, crock pot is one our most frequently used pots. Best thing I like is baby back ribs. Cut the rack to fit it in the pot, put in a can of COKE, yup the drinking stuff not the powder stuff:rofl::rofl: and let the ribs cook the whole day on slow. Then haul them out and place on a cookie tray covered with foil baste with your favorite rib sauce and place in the oven to grill for 15 to 20 minutes just to brown them up. YUmmy and they come off the bone so easy. Pot cleans up in seconds and cookie tray is protected by the foil.:)

O.K. I will spill the beans. I actually cook fairly often and am probably better than my wife at it. (she says so) The kids liked the PCB sandwiches. One of my favorite sandwiches is peanut butter and lettuce.

Kalea, I use the crock pot sometimes. I more often use a roaster oven or 2. We have more kids than you can count on both hands so volume is paramount. One of our favorites is pork loin with garlic cloves stabbed in and covered with a glaze of ground cloves,pepper,cinnamon, brown sugar, honey, and a few other spices to suit. Cook in a roaster oven @ 200-250 for many hours so everyone can drool around the house. :wave::wave:

I like to try new things often. We ate bread fruit for the first time last week. It was ok if you like squash. When I shop for a menu we often pick up ingredients from 2-4 ethnic cultures. Last week it was Hispanic, Vietnamese, Yooper, and Pacific rim.

Did I mention that I like food? :D

Hey Rob, I got to admit I've never heard of the coke on ribs thing. I'm going to give it a go. I have a bunch of beef ribs I've been saving for some excuse to eat them. Maybe super bowl Sunday?

Hey Rob, I got to admit I've never heard of the coke on ribs thing. I'm going to give it a go. I have a bunch of beef ribs I've been saving for some excuse to eat them. Maybe super bowl Sunday?

Try root beer for another tasty treat! Mix it with brown suger to a pasty mixture and rub it on the ribs, ham, chicken...I think you get the picture.

Paul, I think I'm going to try your PCB sandwich...sounds tasty to me. Although anything with bacon on it sounds good to me!

O.K. I will spill the beans. I actually cook fairly often and am probably better than my wife at it. (she says so) The kids liked the PCB sandwiches. One of my favorite sandwiches is peanut butter and lettuce.

Kalea, I use the crock pot sometimes. I more often use a roaster oven or 2. We have more kids than you can count on both hands so volume is paramount. One of our favorites is pork loin with garlic cloves stabbed in and covered with a glaze of ground cloves,pepper,cinnamon, brown sugar, honey, and a few other spices to suit. Cook in a roaster oven @ 200-250 for many hours so everyone can drool around the house. :wave::wave:

I like to try new things often. We ate bread fruit for the first time last week. It was ok if you like squash. When I shop for a menu we often pick up ingredients from 2-4 ethnic cultures. Last week it was Hispanic, Vietnamese, Yooper, and Pacific rim.

Did I mention that I like food? :D

Wow... that sounds yummy! I try to incorporate new stuff when I can as well... just to keep things interesting =)

WOW, Darren that would blow the nitrate and fat allowance for a month at least. I've been known to butterfly a steak and roll sausage up in it with olives and onions and mushrooms and bake. Hey, maybe they aught to put a stick of butter in the middle of that bacon explosion..........just to make sure it doesn't dry out. :rofl: