An Ax To Grind

Frank Townend

ax-to-grind-sm.jpg
This guide published by the USDA Forest Service is an incredible resource for everything ax-related, from beginner to advanced (and it's free!). Filled with succinct and wise passages, clear photos and helpful diagrams, the book explains the in's and out's of felling, limbing, splitting, chopping, bucking, and hewing. Plus, no-nonsense tips on how to swing, grip, sharpen, maintain, select and purchase the right ax for the right job. The subtitle is right: practical.

An Ax to Grind: A Practical Ax Manual
Bernie Weisgerber
1999, 68 pages

Available from USDA Forest Service in HTML
Also available from Clarke Green as a PDF
Also available from the USDA Forest Service in PDF

Last edited:
Thanks Rob! As I am sure it is in Canada, our governments produce some things of great value, and as taxpayers, it is nice when we can directly benefit from them.

I stored a copy on my hard drive, ready when I am.

Thanks Frank, I downloaded and saved on my desktop. Might get a chance to look it over this weekend. Trying to get taxes in order so need something to bring me back to reality from time to time!

ok whats the deal here i cant seem to get the pdf link to work frank,,,you got me locked out on purpose? here is where your link takes me:
http://scoutmaster.typepad.com/axegrind.pdf and then i get a 503 error:eek: on both a mac and pc at home
It ain't you Larry. Looks like that link is down. The HTML version works, though.

When we went to Albuquerque last Christmas, I took my Tormek along, since my dad had a few things he wanted me to sharpen on it. I had it set up in my brother-in-law's Man Cave (garage/smoking room), and sharpened his one and only chisel as well as a few things I'd brought along to sharpen for myself. He's got a wood stove in the Cave, and a 3/4 axe he uses to split small pieces of wood for the stove. I offered to sharpen it for him, but he was reluctant, saying he liked a dull axe better for splitting. This thing was so dull it wouldn't stick into the end of a 4" log without major whacking. Anyway, I talked him into letting me try, since I'd not sharpened an axe on the Tormek yet...told him if he didn't like it I'd dull it back up for him. :p

I did a quick sharpening job on it, and the difference was night and day. He tapped it on the end of a small log and was very surprised to see the axe go about 1/3 of the way into the log. One more tap and the log was split. He did this on a few more piece of wood, and reckoned I was right, and that a sharp axe, like any other cutting tool, was better off sharp than dull. :D

A Download Question (from A Computer Stupid Guy)

OK, it seems I am able to download either of the files, (HTML or PDF), and I have looked at both and I realize they have different looks, etc.

Now my question is, what is the advantage or disadvantage of one over the other, and/or which would be the best for me to download? Does one take more file space or something or is there other reasons?:huh::dunno:

TIA
Norm

I think the differences are in layout Norman.
The HTML can be downloaded and read "offline" but the PDF can be printed, shared, or read offline much easier.
I say go for the PDF.

Last edited: