Using an HVLP Set up to Spray Latex Paint...?

Looks like they are going to discontinue them as the prices are coming way down. I saw one yesterday at HD for 198.00 new. I think I paid 180.00 reconditioned couple of years back. It's OK for what I need. I'd go rent one if I needed to paint the house. Do miss the old CH. though. Stick the tube in the 5 gal bucket and go to town! I kept the 50' hose when I got rid of it.

I don't remember what brand the painter I worked for had but that is what it did, just put the tube in a 5 gallon bucket and go. We painted a big two story house once and he bought all the paint in 1 gallon cans. He could keep two of us busy getting the gallon cans opened and mixed before he ran out. If he hadn't have been up and down the ladder we couldn't have kept up. I have always wanted one but could never afford one for home owner use. And I don't do well with heights so I couldn't do a couple of jobs to pay for it.

I am surprised you had so much over spray with the unit you showed as the specs on it look pretty good.

Garry

I don't remember what brand the painter I worked for had but that is what it did, just put the tube in a 5 gallon bucket and go. We painted a big two story house once and he bought all the paint in 1 gallon cans. He could keep two of us busy getting the gallon cans opened and mixed before he ran out. If he hadn't have been up and down the ladder we couldn't have kept up. I have always wanted one but could never afford one for home owner use. And I don't do well with heights so I couldn't do a couple of jobs to pay for it.

I am surprised you had so much over spray with the unit you showed as the specs on it look pretty good.

Garry

CH, Campbell Hausfeld. The over spray may be due to the relative cheap tip that is supplied with the gun. I may try the gun I used on the CH.

I have a CH two stage HVLP unit that I used latex house paint to do the exposed eaves on a house I used to own. I used Floetral (sp) to thin the paint as you stated in your first post and it worked very well. I was surprised at how much control I had. I could actually paint the drip edge without a spray shield and didn't get any overspray on the shingles. The paint went on very even and to the best of my knowledge the Floetral didn't seem to effect the quality of the paint.

Hi Rod, welcome to the Family! :wave:

Thanks for the info, I've looked high and wide, but I cannot find a source of the Floetrol here in Japan, so I'm back to the rollers! :dunno:

Cheers!

stu, you shouldn't need floetrol with a true airless system. they are meant to spray paint. i'd give it a go with the airless, if nothing else just to paint the ceilings and trim. i don't mind rollin walls, but ceilings are no fun.

i tried to spray latex with my hvlp this past weekend. it sprayed it and covered but it left an eggshell finish. but that is ok because it was shutters and i am gonna roll a quick second coat on.

good luck with the painting. i'd offer to help but I'm a little far away...:p

chris

Thanks for the offer Chris.

The airless was good enough for the trim, but you know how things happen, the paint I bought in the summer, well, they no longer make it, so I can't get a color match :doh: I'll be doing two coats anyways, but now it looks like I'll be doing EVERYTHING twice :rolleyes: :dunno:

Cheers!

Wow...don't the paint shops do custom-mixed paint in Tokyo? Even the little mom & pop hardware stores here seem to have computerized color-matching gear. I've taken a chunk of stucco into the store and had them match the color with latex paint.