Different hobby:stupidity still hurts.

allen levine

Without my TS, Im kinda stuck in the middle of the little project Im working on.
I can spend some time outside now, cause its been upper 30s, warm enough for me to get in garage time and do some woodworking, but naturally, no saw.
I decided to give the wood stuff a break until I get my saw back and its warm enough to start cutting wood.

With all my free time, I can do stuff like clean out my closet, clean out my garage cabinets, go through all my drawers and cabinets in the house, do some early spring cleaning, but who am I kidding, I want something that is interesting.

So I decided to do one of my favorite things of years ago, and go to the range, maybe a couple of times a week and make holes in paper instead of drilling through wood.
First thing, I decided to clean out my gun bag.(I dont want to make this a thread about guns, or shooting)
Its a nice sized bag,zippered storage in the center, padded zippered sleaves on sides for pistols, and Ive stored alot of additional equipment in there that I couldnt fit in the gun vault.
Magazines, some scopes, loaders, grips, glasses, etc.
I took each item out, inventoried it in my head, since its been awhile since I actually looked at what Ive accumulated over the past 30 years.
I lined up all the magazines that went with each pistol,rifle, and checked to see if they've held up well(springs)
It was late last night, I put everything away, picked up everything I had laid out on the floor, since I only have a tiny bit of space on the desk.
I went in to watch the local news, decided to come back into the office to look something up, and in the dark, I stepped on a .45 colt magazine, the inside on top of the spring has a plate, that is half a circle, and that point went right through the bottom of my foot behind the ball of the foot.
Lemme tell ya, as stupid as Ive ever been shooting brads into my finger, this was alot worse. I was limping around all day.
Teach me a lesson for not checking to make sure I pick up all my junk when Im done.

As my wife is always trying to tell me, "The floor is NOT the biggest table in the house!"

Best of luck with everything! If you make it up to my place for Larry's visit we can go to the range together after Larry gets back on the road. Or with Larry if he's willing to show up at the Thoit's a bit later than scheduled.

I cant transport through NJ and PA, they already told me dont travel even if they are locked up in the trunk.

PA isn't a problem - just need to have ammunition and weapons locked in separate containers (I am unable to find a PA site with the law stating this in the time I'm willing to look - verify this for yourself). In fact, if you stop by the county sheriff's office in PA on your way up with $25 and your NY permit you'll be able to get a PA non-res carry permit. The PA Attorney General's Office and the PA State Police have some useful information about this. I left for PA to get my non-res carry license from work where it is a termination offense to even leave a weapon in your vehicle, so I did not transport a weapon with me when I went to PA to get my license.

Get the statement from NJ in writing from either a DA or the governor's office and sue them into the Stone Ages and get yourself a new shop, since their advice seems to be a quite obvious violation of Federal Law.

I spoke with New Jersey a very long time ago. I had rented a place near monticello ny. I used to use the parkway through Jersey, and asked them about transporting through the state. I was warned not too.
I vaguely remember somewhere that PA wasnt going to honor a ny pistol license around the same time.
anyway, things might have changed. I wouldnt take any chances.

Allen, you can't carry the pistol through PA without a PA permit, which is easy enough to get - pretty sure it needs to be locked in a separate container than any ammunition, but possession throughout PA is fine as long as the appropriate vehicle transport mode is followed. And yes, I've heard that NJ regularly violates the federal statute. Anything gained in a wrongful arrest / harassment suit may not be worth the cost of admission though.

I was busy at work on my feet 9 hours straight yesterday and today.
The only thing that will be long lasting hurt is my pride. I thought leaving little metal objects on a floor and walking around barefoot ended when my son stopped playing with micro machine cars 20 years ago. A couple of those had made long lasting impressions in my feet.