Double Sided Tape

Dan Mooney

I bought a couple rolls of double sided tape from HF to use on router templates. It sticks great and works fine, but it is a mess to cut, it sticks to the scissors and leaves a residue on them. I spend more time cleaning the scissors than routing, any one else have this problem?

I use a bar of soap or parafin wax in a pinch. Just rub the scissors every couple of cuts and there will be a clean cutter when you are finished.

Mike
OK

I learned early on that turner's tape outperforms carpet tape but the thing that stymied me was how to remove the backing after I had applied the tape to one surface. Trying to pick at an end proved fruitless. A little experimentation showed that if you score the backing for about 1/2 inch from the edge about 1/2 inch in from one end then you can peel it back and then pull the whole backing loose.

Good tip Larry.
Gee your first post is a tip, that may be a record.
Welcome to the Family, we are all exceptionally nice and civil, each make over a million dollars a year, and each have 300 workshops. One of these is true, can you guess which one?
One thing I ask, can you put your location in your profile, just click User CP.

Good tip Larry.
Gee your first post is a tip, that may be a record.

Thread-jack: Yeah, maybe we oughta ask the admins to check that out. Most first posts are intros / questions. I wonder how many first posts have been tips? Larry may be the harbinger of a brave new world. . . . OK, too much coffee, back to the shop.

I've used wax paper in the past. Pull what you want off the roll onto the wax paper. After you've cut it off you can handle it a little easier with a second "paper backing" Made my tape a little more manageable. I don't remember what brand it was but it was a pain to work with.

Royal, Thanks for the tip about the wax paper, I tried that this morning and it worked great! :thumb:

Another tip about wax paper, I bought an 18 inch wide roll of butcher's paper at Costco (very BIG roll), it has one side that has either a waxed or plastic coating, I use it to cover my work bench during glue up's, the glue doesn't stick to it, so your project never inadvertently gets glued to the paper, plus the other side makes nice long sheets for drawing large plans.

Appreciate it much!

Dan

I spray my scissors or cutter with silicone, it works fantastic, I can cut any sticky thing without problem. Oil would work also.

Hey Toni,
Does the silicone affect the finish, either stain or Polyurethane?

By the way, How does the Spanish at the bottom of of your posts translate? I tried with my Spanish/English dictionary, But I couldn't make it compute!:(

Thanks
Dan

Hey Toni,
Does the silicone affect the finish, either stain or Polyurethane?

By the way, How does the Spanish at the bottom of of your posts translate? I tried with my Spanish/English dictionary, But I couldn't make it compute!:(

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan, no it doesnt affect the finish so far but I'm cautious when spraying silicone, I always do it far from any piece that is going to be painted or varnished.

The literal translation of my bottom sentence is:

The art of a good barber is to be able to make sideburns out of a place where there is no hair.

This is a sentence that a master carver I know (now retired) always tells me, to emphasize that sometimes when carving one has to carve something out of place where there is not enough wood to do it.

I hope it makes sense to you:)

Hi Dan, no it doesnt affect the finish so far but I'm cautious when spraying silicone, I always do it far from any piece that is going to be painted or varnished.

The literal translation of my bottom sentence is:

The art of a good barber is to be able to make sideburns out of a place where there is no hair.

This is a sentence that a master carver I know (now retired) always tells me, to emphasize that sometimes when carving one has to carve something out of place where there is not enough wood to do it.

I hope it makes sense to you:)

Hey Toni,
Thanks for the translation, I guess my dictionary did compute, When I found the barber and sideburns, but I couldn't tie that in with woodworking. It makes sense the way you explained it.

Thanks
Dan

Hi Everyone,

I have found that lighter fluid (cigarette, Bar-B-Q, etc.) on a rag or piece of TP wiped over the sticky on scissors, will remove it Pronto. Lighter fluid is cleaner's benzine (if I remember correctly) and it is great to remove almost any "sticky" such as tape, glue, price tags, jar labels, etc., etc.

I keep a bottle of Bar-B-Q starter in the shop. Myrna (LOML) keeps a Ronson Lighter Fluid under the kitchen sink. It is smaller and handier to use---but more expensive.

I hope this helps someone.

Enjoy,

Jim

Toni: Notice my great use of Spanish!

Last edited: