Finally got back to the Lathe! First Platters

Keith Palmer

Well after my mom got the peppermill for christmas she requested a platter or two. I finally got to the lathe last week and turned a practice one from poplar. Good thing I made a practice one just as I was touching up the bottom I thought to myself that the nub was getting awfully small, and just as I thought that, it broke and the platter got caught on the chuck and tailcenter.:(:( I then chucked a piece of Maple burl I had and turned a second platter for her. I think it turned out great, sanded to 600 with danish oil, then buffed. I figured I might as well go ahead and finish the poplar one as well, just has a couple of war wounds. They are both 12" diameter, the poplar is 1 1/4" tall and the maple is 1" tall.

Please let me know what you think.

IMG_4973.JPGIMG_4974.JPGIMG_4969.JPGIMG_4971.JPGIMG_4952.JPGIMG_4954.JPGIMG_4965.JPGIMG_4967.JPG

The war wounds in the poplar aren't very visible from what I see, and the maple burl platter is gorgeous. Great stuff, Keith. :clap:

Very nice; love the flow of the curves. :thumb:

I didn't realize that poplar can have such a brown tone; it looks almost like semi-transparent walnut.

Well you certainly have not lost your touch!

The war wound on the popular is on the bottom, from what I can see, so what they heck, most likely only other turnes will notice :D

The Maple Burl is fantastic!! :thumb:

I agree, that maple burl is beautiful! Are you complaining about that thing that looks like a beetle larva home on the bottom of the poplar?

Also, if you made the poplar first, why is it labeled "#108" and then maple "#107"? Have decided to only turn so many objects in an attempt to increase demand for your work and soon you'll be all done turning and ship your lathe to Larry? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

well you turners are sure making great use of the purty wood latly.. that maple burl is definatly top rate...the popular with its story is a real close second.:thumb: nice work.

I know it's wrong but I like the looks of the poplar! Such a simple elegance to the shape and grain. Both are beautiful though. :thumb:

After reading a lot of posts by Larry, it almost sounds like he's weakening to the idea of crossing over to the spinny side!!:D:rofl::rofl: Is there any wagering that he'll come home from the road trip with a new tool???:huh::rofl::rofl:

I know it's wrong but I like the looks of the poplar! Such a simple elegance to the shape and grain. Both are beautiful though. :thumb:

After reading a lot of posts by Larry, it almost sounds like he's weakening to the idea of crossing over to the spinny side!!:D:rofl::rofl: Is there any wagering that he'll come home from the road trip with a new tool???:huh::rofl::rofl:

No new tool of that sort from Larry and I'll wager on that fact :D He's a strong willed redneck for certain. Also I have had the previlage of being in his shop many times and I know one will not fit. It's a large shop well filled with tools for the flat side. He does though appriciate what all you turners create, thus the positive comments :D

I agree, that maple burl is beautiful! Are you complaining about that thing that looks like a beetle larva home on the bottom of the poplar?

On the poplar one, the chuck dug a couple of good grooves on the topside, the picture does not show it well.

Also, if you made the poplar first, why is it labeled "#108" and then maple "#107"? Have decided to only turn so many objects in an attempt to increase demand for your work and soon you'll be all done turning and ship your lathe to Larry? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was originally so angry:mad:at myself for cutting the nub too small and it breaking, I was planning on just using it around the shop. It wasn't until I finished the maple one that I calmed down and decided to finish the poplar piece. Hence the numbering order.

Keith I think both of those look really nice. I also prefer the poplar, but like them both. At first glance, without reading, I thought it was Walnut, too. But I don't know a whole lot about all different species yet. I didn't know you could get results like that out of Poplar! Looks great!

you bettin on the wrong team royal:)

No new tool of that sort from Larry and I'll wager on that fact :D He's a strong willed redneck for certain. Also I have had the previlage of being in his shop many times and I know one will not fit. It's a large shop well filled with tools for the flat side. He does though appriciate what all you turners create, thus the positive comments :D

thanks fer the support tom:)