We're not in Kansas anymore, are we?

Ben Franz

Hello everyone. One of your moderators introduced me to FWW a few weeks ago so I thought it was time to hop in. I've been over at SMC for a while and I see a lot of familiar people here so I'm looking forward to the ride.

Been into wood for a while but the shop hasn't been functional for a long time what with life interfering and a recent (2006) interstate move. I'm just getting set up in the garage now and I may actually start making something if I can find any wood in New Mexico.

welcome Ben but we wont hold it against you for waitun so long to come over to visit.. yeah we got a mix of there, here and the other spots on here but we like to think its a good salad.. and for the mod that invited yu thanks, it shows that your doing your job!!!!

Well, Ben. It took you long enough, but you finally got here. Welcome to the Family!! :wave:

We're gonna get out to see you soon!

By the way, the best lumber we've found is at Lumber Products, on Bellamah off Rio Grande, behind Hotel Albuquerque. Albuquerque Hardwoods is good too, but stay away from Orepak - they're expensive!!!

Thanks, Darren. Not from Kansas - just being a wise guy. Born in West Virginia, grew up in Ohio (recovering Ohio State graduate/fan/masochist), many years in California (Silicon Valley) and finally escaped to NM. Nancy Laird was mod to give credit to.

Last edited:
...I spent a lifetime one year in Roswell working as an A&P for Air Midwest :D
Reminds me of the week I spent in Gallup one day. :rolleyes: I think I'd take Roswell over Gallup any day.

Welcome aboard, Ben. :wave: I'm a transplanted Albuquerque native.

Nancy, is Lumber Product where Paxton Lumber used to be? (I came very close to working at Paxton years ago...I was friends with the guy that ran the place.)

:eek:I'm in Edgewood, about 30 miles east of Albuquerque, behind the Sandia Mts. Land of the 50 mph winds and giant grasshoppers:eek:. Sure beats California traffic and crowds though.

Reminds me of the week I spent in Gallup one day. :rolleyes: I think I'd take Roswell over Gallup any day.

Welcome aboard, Ben. :wave: I'm a transplanted Albuquerque native.

Nancy, is Lumber Product where Paxton Lumber used to be? (I came very close to working at Paxton years ago...I was friends with the guy that ran the place.)

Remind David to tell you some time about the year he spent in Amarillo one week!

Vaughn, you'll be back to Albuquerque one of these days, as soon as you get tired of the 7-million best friends who live in your back yard!!

Lumber Products is down off Rio Grande, just south of I-40, behind Hotel Albuquerque (used to be the Sheraton Old Town). Paxton is now Orepak---expensive!!! All of us "pros" use Lumber Products and/or Albuquerque Hardwoods and avoid Orepak like the plague.

David and I drove out to Edgewood this afternoon and spent a pleasant hour or so with Ben and checked out the progress on his gar--er, shop. He's moving right along, getting the DC hooked up, but has a ways to go to be able to start producing furniture! Come on, Ben. We like pictures here!!

...Vaughn, you'll be back to Albuquerque one of these days, as soon as you get tired of the 7-million best friends who live in your back yard!!...
I'm working on it. Just a matter of convincing LOML to leave the only place she's ever lived. ;) She doesn't know there are better places than LA. Last time we were in town we visited my ex-wife, who has a beautiful place in Corrales, and after seeing it, I think LOML could be swayed into living somewhere along the Bosque. I wouldn't mind living out in Ben's direction, somewhere out east of the Sandias, but I think the snow would be a dealbreaker for LOML. The west side of the river has really improved too, but we'd like to get away from the subdivisions and the sand. Time will tell, I guess. :rolleyes:

New to forum

Hello Ben and welcome you may notice Nancy said to turn down Bellamah ave. Yes that is my last name , although that was a relative of mine that use too build house's in NM, Vaughn gave me a history lesson about my family history because he said he lived in one of the houses. Also it might have been named after Joe Bellamah of NM who was a teacher of music at the local university and composer as well, Welcome aboard I know how it is to be a newbie here but everyone is very nice and fun lots of knowledge as well. How do you like NM , I have been through there a couple of times years ago, What kind of woodworking do you do?? I hope I didn't get off the subject to much, Later DB :wave:

Northwood

Just recently joined up on this web site and I cannot believe all the information available. Such a bunch of smart "people"
Going through the messages I also see a lot of places I been to and what is happening now.
Started in Albuquerque-then Sedan Ks. then Battle Creek Mi. on to Granville,Oh then to Carthage,Mo.
Reading all the posts I know will inspire me to get out in the cold and start making sawdust and chips.
Keep up the beautiful work.

Just recently joined up on this web site and I cannot believe all the information available. Such a bunch of smart "people"
Going through the messages I also see a lot of places I been to and what is happening now.
Started in Albuquerque-then Sedan Ks. then Battle Creek Mi. on to Granville,Oh then to Carthage,Mo.
Reading all the posts I know will inspire me to get out in the cold and start making sawdust and chips.
Keep up the beautiful work.

Hi David and welcome to the group.:wave: I'm over here in Republic,Mo. I use to go through Sedan on my way to Tulsa from Herington Ks. Ended up here in 84 after leaving Wichita as fast as I could and now they cant get rid of me here:rofl:

Jay