Shop assembly started

Woohoo!

I figured it would be easier to level up if the base and floor purlins were in... so we squared it up and got going. One side of floor purlins are all bolted in... other side we'll finish up tomorrow. The kit comes with purlins 24" oc... I ordered extra to go to 16" oc. Kinda thought they'd drill the holes for 16" oc... but NOOOOO. So that's been rather a bother. It might not look like much... but I'm a fat computer guy that smokes too much, and my help is an older-than-me computer guy that also smokes too much. We can't go like we used to. :eek: :( PROGRESS, anyway. :wave:

newshop3.jpg

Are those 2x4 floor joists? What is the length of them? It looks kinda wimpy for a floor. Maybe the pro's can speak up. Especially considering the original 24" centers.

bill, i think they are steel not wood and that makes a differnce:huh: looks like steel, heavy like steel. r they steel? and if needed and easily done right now, they could support the centers with blocks.

just look at the tools yu could get for the extra dollars you didnt use, but the progress looks good, and i didnt see the old green house did it blow away accidently:D

Steel C purlin. I think they're bigger than 2x4. I'll put blocks at the middle and see if that's enough... if not, I'll put them under in two spots. There'll be more blocks on the perimeter than there are now (obviously).

Greenhouse still there. :(

Yeah... but you've got a three year head start. :rofl:

yu must know him pretty good,, we think he's related to ned:) and kirk i am taking bets on you for this race:) also you want at least 9ft ceiling if your gonna spin ply around or long stock. my old shop had 7ft ceilings and the new has ten it like am floating of the ground now i can turn and flop most anything around and not wonder if i missed the light.. maybe they arenmt on to begin with:huh:

Walls are 8' at the eaves, very little pitch to the roof. But I don't do much with sheet goods, and when I do I break it down first (always have). I don't do anything 'big' anymore. In fact, for the last couple years I've been wanting to concentrate more on turning. And I have two friends with 'big' shops if the need arises. So.... I may be sorry, but not right away.

Walls are 8' at the eaves, very little pitch to the roof. But I don't do much with sheet goods, and when I do I break it down first (always have). I don't do anything 'big' anymore. In fact, for the last couple years I've been wanting to concentrate more on turning. And I have two friends with 'big' shops if the need arises. So.... I may be sorry, but not right away.

yeah but one of them isnt finished yet kirk:rofl:

Kirk -- ur blg will be great. I know it was frustrating that holes aren't there for 16" centers; but you will make it. I have a suggestion for supports; if someone has a pile of bricks you can have, they will make great piers (you can even "glue" them together 3 or 4 high.
What is the floor going to be? We used a 1 1/8" plywood for my daughter's second floor. It is glued down and it is solid. In my new shop I used conduits for the electric; it worked very well. I didn't want any exposed wiring.

Ray Gerdes in beautiful Texas