Hello from the deep South . . .

Howdy folks. Another Texan, I hope the maximum allowable number of us on the forum has not yet been reached. I know it's hard to tolerate too many of us in one place. :D

In keeping with the TOS my wife and I distribute various lumber products and a woodworking jig system (thanks for the tip Larry ;) ).

Okay that stuff is out of the way. We are also woodworkers and that's why we are here. My wife finally got her husband to get off his duff and get her a lathe, so that's what she is interested in most right now as far as woodworking. Pens and little what-not trinkets like that. I suspect she will good at it. She is at everything she does. She has two of those pieces of paper that you frame and hang on the wall - one from Baylor and one from Univ of Maryland, and I have none. Guess who the brains of this outfit is? :huh:

On the lathe thing, I suspect once I turn something, my addictive personality will take over and ruin our businesses. :rofl: If there are any drummers on board here, maybe you'll warn me how difficult it is to try and turn a pair of matched sticks as a first project. Talk me out of it maybe in lieu of an easier first project, like a wine bottle stopper or something. :dunno:

Over the last year or so I have been reading and studying and researching, and selecting the wooden billets and other components for a 5½ octave marimba build. I will be using Bois D' Arc (Osage Orange/Hedge) for the bars. I still have not decided what to use as resonators because I do not want to scrimp but haven't found a source for them, and so also have not decided on what to use as plugs, one of the more critical components when designing a marimba.

Finally, I am not a bucket mouth, or anything like that. :rofl::rofl::rofl::wave:

Last edited:
welcome kevin, and i dont think we have enough of you texans yet:) as for your bio, we dont need to know that you own half of texas:) just a short and sweet title is good you can say it pretty broad.. a distributor of various lumber products and tools.. but that aside.. your in the right place you got neighbors all over down there.. one guy norman hitt i think is one that yu need to watch out for..:rofl:

Hey, Kevin and welcome to the site. I have been following the forestry and milling section over at woodworking talk for a while now and have really enjoyed your posts. I've learned a lot. Again, welcome.

Kevin!! Darlin'!! Welcome to our Family. It's about time that you made it over here---

(I know Kevin from Woodworking Talk and he's a pretty great guy!)

:wave: Hi Kevin, (from the part of Texas where we would even have to import Bois D' Arc if we wanted some).:D How far are you from the Lewisville area, (my two Daughters live there in Highland Village), so we might could run into each other sometime.:thumb:

Welcome aboard, Kevin. Texans are like clamps -- you can never have too many of them. I live in Georgia now but, as they say, you can take the boy out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the boy!!!

By the way, "In the deep south, on the west side of of central northeast Texas"!!! Hmmm...............................

Kevin!! Darlin'!! Welcome to our Family. It's about time that you made it over here---
I got here as fast as I could Nancy, but it's a big wide world, this web! I only joined because I missed you. :type: ;)

By the way, "In the deep south, on the west side of of central northeast Texas"!!! Hmmm...............................

I know, it's a tough one but, accurate the way my silly brain thinks. We do live in north central Texas, on the east side of the central zone though. However, that also happens to be on the west side of the East Texas Piney Woods; and all of it is in the deep south. I figure, how can I avoid an opportunity like that?

Hey you could be in a lot worse places than Georgia. :)