How I solved my chipped veneer problem

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
In my chancel furniture build thread I noted that I had gotten frustrated with chipping out of the veneer on my white oak plywood. I was getting clean cuts with the grain, and pretty good cuts across the grain where I could use the fence, but the angled cuts - that was another story. I surmised that I was not getting a rock solid guide through the blade and therefore was getting chip out. So, I started looking for a solution.

I mentioned the fix in the other thread, but a certain bearded moderator that travels a lot insisted I should expound on it.:rofl:

The solution, for me - YMMV, was to clamp a straight edge along my line and use a bearing guided spiral router bit to clean up the cuts.
Down Spiral.jpg

After getting the two parallel edges perfect, I placed the frame on top of the ply to mark out my angled cuts. Then, I used the TS to get close to the line.Initial clamp up.jpgThe gap.jpg

DISCLAIMER - On all the other pieces that required these cuts I started with the ply and built the frame around it - the easier way for sure. However, this needed to be done in reverse because of the compound angles in this particular part of the build. I'll post pictures of that in the other thread in a few days.

Then I clamp a strait edge along the line Along the line.jpg
Get everything clamped securly and do my routing
Guiide attached.jpgClamped and ready.jpg

The result is a clean edge and a snug fit. I did have to go back and make a few more passes to sneak up on it, but it was worth it having the nice clean fit.
Clean edge.jpgNo  gap.jpg

What a great tutorial Rennie, I'll add that to my list of how-tos. I've used the painter's tape as well, but still haven't gotten that clean of a cut.

Thanks!

rennie, i've always kept it a bit simpler, i just use blue painters tape where i'm going to be cutting.

What a great tutorial Rennie, I'll add that to my list of how-tos. I've used the painter's tape as well, but still haven't gotten that clean of a cut.

Thanks!
The painter's tape trick did not work well for me:huh:. Most likely operator error.:D

Thanks rennie your paid up fer another year now:) i figured that if it worked for you others would like to see how you handled it.. and it can go in the tips and tutorial forum someday!! well done !

Rennie, Your already done now so I'm a bit late, but I use a Freud LU80R010 for sheet goods. The cut is amazing and with a fresh ZCI there is no chip on cross cuts, even with super thin borg veneer. It also leaves glass smooth crosscuts on solid stock like rails and stiles. For cabinet work I wouldn't be without mine!

Mike

Rennie, Your already done now so I'm a bit late, but I use a Freud LU80R010 for sheet goods. The cut is amazing and with a fresh ZCI there is no chip on cross cuts, even with super thin borg veneer. It also leaves glass smooth crosscuts on solid stock like rails and stiles. For cabinet work I wouldn't be without mine!

Mike
Hi Mike,

When I could guide along the fence I was getting good results with my WWII. I don't think my blade is the problem as I'm getting great cross cuts. It was the angled cuts I was having problems with. I tried using the miter gauge and a sled, but neither was giving me the control I needed to cut a true line. I believe that is where I was running into trouble.

Using the router gives me the control I needed.

Nice work Rennie it looks good. Your solution has proved to work :thumb: Another thing that's worth giving a try is something that we do out in the field if we have to cross cut veenered ply or malmaline. I'm sure this has been mentioned at some other point on this forum but oh well. Clamp a straight edge on your finish cut line on the "blowout" side of the piece (obviously the side facing down on a table saw then) and just score it once or twice with a utility knife. Preferably with a nice, very sharp new blade. Then when you cut make sure you cut perfectly to your scored line and it should be clean as a whistle. Something worth giving a try if you are curious and have some scraps and some free time. Looks great though Rennie!