Jointer Problems

I have an 8 inch Bridgewood Jointer that I purchased used a while ago. When I turn it on it starts up slow and takes about 20 seconds to get up to full speed. If I Face Joint a board and take more than a 1/32nd of a cut it bogs down. It is not the belt slipping. The motor actually slows and stops. Anyone have any ideas. Could the cord length to the outlet have anything to do with it? Do I need to replace the motor or is there anything else I can check out. I am going to sell this machine in the near future and I want it fully operational prior to selling.

Greg

greg, run pick-up a clamp on amp meter and check the amperage draw freewheelin` and loaded......that`ll tell you more than 150 internet guesses...tod

Greg...

Ditto tod's comments! If.. it has come up to speed in the past.. if you are on a non-overloaded circuit ( too many tools drawing current at the same time or lengthy extention cord decreasing flow at end ).. if the belt is not slipping as you said it wasn't.. then the amp test should be your next step as it sounds as if the windings may have drawn near retirement age.

Good luck...

JT.. sarge

Ditto the above comments. One other suggestion that may or may not be cheaper than a new motor, is a motor repair shop. I take all my old machine motors to a shop and have them repair them. Usually cheaper than a new motor and I trust they are right when they come back.

Don is correct that the more likely culprit is the capacitor with what you described. What-ever, the small motor shop is sound to idenify and fix what ails...

JT.. sarge