Swaps

KaLea Thoits

So I am pretty new to this woodworking thing ;) and have jumped right in with both feet. So far I have been part of two swap type events; the snowman contest and the box swap. I have had a lot of fun with it and it's really got me thinking.
Chuck and I were talking about this last evening and I think it is a really good thing to have a semi constant flow of swaps going on.... like once one ends start up another for a different type of project.
I think that this achieves a number of things:
1. it gets people excited and motivated about working on a project
2. It gets the creativity flowing and is a good mood boost because sometimes people have a lot of stuff going on in their life that they may be able to do little to nothing about. By crafting a project start to finish you get some amount of feels good satisfaction from holding a completed piece in your hands. I think it would also be good for reducing stress (even though yes wood working can cause some amount of stress... it's different) because you doing something productive and have a bit of an outlet for your daily upsets. Not to mention it gets you off the couch, which is always a good thing.
3. it potentially gets them involved with new techniques
4. it helps to keep a good flow of conversation and interest going on the forums
5. it gets people more involved and helps people to get to know other members better
6. it gives members the ability to share their work with people out of their normal network
7. it encourages people to improve their skills
8. if there is always a swap going on, but each one is limited to the first dozen or so people that pipe up it gets people that may have missed out on that round interested in and anticipating what the next swap will be and if they will be able to get in on it.

I think that the swaps should be limited to a 2-4 week turn around time, depending on the type of project, to keep interest up and be able to fit more swaps into the course of a year.
I would be more than happy to coordinate this.... including picking themes or categories, setting time frames, keeping track of who's in and facilitating the swapping at the end.

I posted this to a moderator to see what they thought and if I needed permission to do so... don't want to make anyone cranky! They said to go ahead and post it here to see what the members think.

So... what do you all think? Would you be interested in something like this? Keeping in mind not every project might be up your alley or of interest to you, do you think you might join in the ones that *are* of interest... or maybe that you have been wanting to try out?
If so, what kind of swaps would *you* like to see going on?
Depending on the chosen projects there would likely be 10-14 swaps per year, limited to only about a dozen participants per swap.

Even if time constraints did not allow me to partake in many of them, I think it would be a great idea and a fantastic way to build interest and friendships. Go for it!

It sounds interesting. Especially if it can be spun in circles. Flat work is another story. That stuff has to wait until the weather gets warmer. It is a good way to get to know people. I'm in one going on in Australia right now.
Dale

How about one of the exchanges being a turned mallet. It could be bigger as in an oak mallet to be used in the shop of a nut cracker or decorative mallet. Like this made from Purple Heart & Maple & if I remember right the pad is Spalted Madrona.

This would even be open to NTNST NON Turning NON Spinny Types. LIKE LARRY because they can be done with 6,8,10,or 12 sides or even on a hand cranked lathe with a router jig. Then when you get it done you can dance a jig.:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumb::D

Attachments

• mallet 1.jpg
    mallet 1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I am glad there is interest in this :thumb:
making note... mallet swap and box swap.... either being whichever construction method you prefer.
Keep the ideas coming!

Another turner/flatlander combination that might work would be cutting boards and bowls. A turner could make a bowl and exchange it for a flatworker's cutting board, and vice versa.

I like that idea Vaughn (there are some pretty awesome cutting board pictures around here!)
I was also thinking of an anything goes/surprise kind of swap. Pretty much whoever wants in makes something from wood.... whatever, in any way they want, and in the end each piece is sent to another swapper and no one has any idea what they are getting until they get it.

I am really getting to like your idea Kalea, this is something I would get involved in if it is something I am able to do. If not they are a blast to follow. Really generates interest, creatitivity, and something wood related to look forward to. :thumb:

Tom

Good Idea

I like the idea Kalea. I tried to do something similar in our turning club and it was the only thing that people actually participated in.

Some ideas we used were to make something from a single 2x4x8' board, something from plywood, something from a pallet, something from just 1 board foot of wood, and so on. Lots of possibilities !

Any other ideas ?

Sounds really exiciting Kalea, and I appreciate your enthusiasm and time you'll devote to it.

I do not know if I will participate in all, some or none of them but for sure It will be interesting to see them all.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Congratulations and don't desperate, this guys need a bit of time to warm up and get going:rofl::rofl:

Sounds really exiciting Kalea, and I appreciate your enthusiasm and time you'll devote to it.

I do not know if I will participate in all, some or none of them but for sure It will be interesting to see them all.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Congratulations and don't desperate, this guys need a bit of time to warm up and get going:rofl::rofl:

thats for sure!:D you guys got a dash cold over there too i heard.

If it generate interest in woodworking I am all for it!! Always seems to me to be a lack of actually woodworking going on here.

I think that the swaps should be limited to a 2-4 week turn around time, depending on the type of project,

Depending on the chosen projects there would likely be 10-14 swaps per year, limited to only about a dozen participants per swap.

I don't know if I will participate in any or not. Right now I have plenty of time but funds are low till the housing sales pick up in my area. Then when I have money I have less time in the shop. Vicious cycle. Plus I am working on a new design that is taking a fair amount of my time. Plus doing some repairs on someones boat.

But it seems your proposing some fast turn arounds and a lot of work in a short time? Is it just me?

If it generate interest in woodworking I am all for it!! Always seems to me to be a lack of actually woodworking going on here.

I don't know if I will participate in any or not. Right now I have plenty of time but funds are low till the housing sales pick up in my area. Then when I have money I have less time in the shop. Vicious cycle. Plus I am working on a new design that is taking a fair amount of my time. Plus doing some repairs on someones boat.

But it seems your proposing some fast turn arounds and a lot of work in a short time? Is it just me?

i told her that aswell jeff:thumb: fast turnarounds,, but she cracks a mean whip:eek:

Turn around times would be dependent upon the project.
For example, it took me roughly 4 hours to make a snowman (It was my for all intensive purposes also the first time I had turned anything)
on the other hand, it took about a week to make the box for the recent box swap... again I had never done that before.
Other projects I am sure take far longer, but for two projects like the above, having a long time allowance would mean giving people lots of time to lose interest and never get around to getting it done. The closer you can model the turn around time to the actual time of getting a project done (with a little life leeway thrown in) the more successful you will be at keeping interest and excitement.
It is too easy to put stuff on the back burner and forget about it when you have a month... or two... or 4 to get a small project done.

My aim is to keep projects within a range of not being overly time consuming or costly. I don't know many people right now that have money to throw around, but I know an awful lot of people that have pieces of this and that laying around that they just haven't gotten around to doing anything with.
Each person interested could certainly make the choice to do their project within their own means... and heck, get creative! Use the scraps you have laying around and turn them into something fantastic.... you'd be surprised what a little creativity can pull out of your .... uhhh... stack of sawdust