Steel City Tablesaw 35915G

Hello

On January 20 2008 I bought a new table saw, the steel city saw model #35915G. That is what it is labelled in the flyer but the saw has a model #35912 on the base. It is the 3hp model with a granite top and 50" fence. I was planning to buy the cast iron model with the 30" fence but the supplier Morley Miller in St George Ontario didn't have any in stock. I was willing to wait until he got one in stock, but instead he came up with a "show special". See, in Hamilton there was a wood show on from Jan 23-25 2009.

Actually I wasn't really in a hurry for a table saw, I could have waited for a month or two. When I was talking to the owner he had 2 saws he was getting ready to bring to the show. I asked him about any specials that there might be at the show because I was planning to go Friday afternoon. He said that if I bought one of the saws he was going to have on display I could get it for 10% off. Well I didn't think that was all that great of a deal and I didn't say anything I just keep looking around at the displays he had in the store. I told him I wasn't all that interested in the granite top or the 50" fence. I really wanted a cast iron top (because it was cheaper and I'm Dutch) and I have never cut anything on the table saw over 30". I kept on waiting and looking around the store while I was thinking of leaving and just going to the show to look at the other vendors. (General, Delta, and King)

I think my not saying anything for awhile might have helped because he then said hang on a minute and he went into his office to crunch some numbers.:thumb: He then came out and said that if I bought one of the saws he also would pay the tax for me as well. The taxes here in Ontario are 13%. He even said that the saw wouldn't even be going to the show if I bought it. I really thought that was good:D because I have been at some shows where the display models aren't handled with the greatest care by the viewing public.

After I paid for it he asked me how I was going to get it home and I told him I would rent a trailer and get some help from a few friends and bring it into my walkout basement. He even surpised me even more, he said he could do even better, he knew some farmers that had delivered some equipment for him before, he gave me a number for the guys and I set up a delivery date with them and they were great. My saw was safely in my basement workshop in less then 20mins after they arrived and it only cost me $50. It was delivered January 28 2009. The trailer rental and getting guys together to move the saw would have cost me even more. (Pizza and of course Beer.)

I spent the last week setting up the saw and I can say I am very pleased. A nickel won't stand up when I fire up the saw but after 2 seconds the saw runs extremely smooth. The manuals are very well laid out with lots of pictures and good hardware is included. There were a few small problems that I had to cope with but nothing significant. Both on the front and back rail there is one bolt that doesn't line up in the hole attaching it to the granite top. It's out by about 1/16" so the head sits slightly proud, but it isn't in the way. The other thing is that there was no proper hex key to tighten the bolts on the rail to the top. Good thing I had one. The extention table was not completely flat and that gave me some problems but my dad and I worked it out.

The real difference compared to my contractors saw is the start up very quick and a lot quieter. The fence is great and locks down solidly every where along the rail. I know that this saw is classified as a hybrid, but it has more power then I'll every need. There is only one belt on the motor but it is abouth 1" wide.

You will see in the picture that I have to enlarge the opening to my shop by a couple inches because the blade is about 4" to left of the left side of the door opening. Good thing I built that opening planning on using 2 32" doors now I just have to pull some drywall down and enlarge the opening to use 2 36" doors instead. Man a 50" fence is big. I have to build all new jigs beause the miter slots are farther apart then on my other saw and it is also 2" lower. That means new outfeed tables as well.

Finally a picture to satisfy everyone.

Attachments

• 033b.jpg
    033b.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 105
congrats stephan,

before building new outfeed tables, consider building a platform to raise the saw 2", i did this because i am taller and wanted the saw higher, this may not work if you don't feel comfortable with the increased height.

or you might just want to build new tables. just thought i'd throw that idea out there.

i built mine the entire width, used some 2x4's layed flat, so 1-1/2" high, then put 1/2" ply on top.

let us know how you like the granite top.

chris

response

Darren the top is 1.75" thick and there is only one extension on the left side. The top is actually one piece of granite that extends over the motor cover. On my contractors saw there was the top plus 2 extensions. This saw only has the one.

Chris I'm not the greatest person to get machines level on the concrete floor, I just can't rap my mind around it for some reason and now that its all level I don't want to play with it. Besides trying to lift a 500lb machine by myself is something I don't look forward to. Actually I am looking forward to building a better outfeed table when I get around to it. Something with a lot more stability and weight to it so I can use it as an assembly table. For now I am comfortable using the saw at its current height of 34.5" I think I will like it even better. Time will tell.

The granite top is completely dead flat across the whole top. I am wondering if I need to wax the top or put something else on top to help with moving the wood through the blade. I know now I should have bought a saw like this years ago.

Thanks
Stephan

Congrats, Stephan. That's a great-looking saw, and it sounds like you swung quite the deal. :thumb: Have fun getting it dirty. :D

hey stephan, whatever works best for you is what you should do.

maybe it might be a good idea to put a granite sealer on the top. this would make waxing easier. just a thought. there could be a reason not to seal it. maybe steel city could be of assistance.

enjoy the saw

Thanks all. Chris I noticed in the paperwork that I got with the saw it talks about a granite sealer, so I'll grab some and put it on the top. Hopefully its like concrete sealer which I find makes everything slippery after applying it.

Thanks
Stephan

nice lookin saw stephen ,,but you can lift alot with a lever, i too raised mine to ahigher elevation..4" higher and am glad i did. but what ever works for you is what yu need to do, is the far right extension granite also or just black laminate?

Nice

Nice saw and big. Never seen one before, just heard about them.

On another note: I think you have too many clamps. You should send some to me so you will have more room in your shop for that new saw. :wave:

The extension on the far right between the rails is black laminate. I had a problem get it to be level with the granite table because there is a high spot in the middle about the 40" mark on the rails. We worked through it and got it as flat as possible.

There is no way I have enough clamps. I have only about 25.

Stephan

Nice one!

That's a really nice little cabinet saw! I have sold at few at work, and people really love them. A lot of mass for a 1.75 HP, and they run quite smoothly. Congrats!

Hutch

Work

I work at Woodcraft in Grand Rapids, MI. I was hired last August and have been loving it! Yeah, I am a big fan of Steel City too. If I hadn't just bought a bunch of tool prior to getting hired, I would have bought from them. :)

Hutch