Live Center Question

Dan Mosley

i have a jet 1642EVS lathe.........im looking for another live center for the tail stock......the pseudo one that came with it is a bit weak so i wanted another one........it is MT-2 taper...........anybody know where i can get a good one with bearing at a good price ???
Thanks Dan

I have the oneway livecenter. I love that thing. I am ordering another one for my Jet 1220. This one is 3 yrs old and no problems. I would definitely look at this one for a 1642.

Last edited:
Aside from the one that came with my 3520, I have a set like this that I got on sale a couple years ago for about $35. It has worked fine for me, and the assorted tips have been handy. My next live center will be the Oneway, though.

I have the Woodcraft version of the one Vaughn linked to that I would be willing to part with. I prefer the OneWay that I have. Or the other two I liberated from the scrap bin at my old job. With the OneWay you can turn custom tips out of the UHMD stuff to use instead of the factory ones. Jet has a knock off of the Oneway fairly reasonable.

I also like the Nova live center system
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...s___Nova_Revolving_Center___nova_center?Args=
It is very versatile; you can attach a special tip with the stud. I paid $100 for mine several years ago without the reversible cone (it was an additional optional then). It is now $68. I think they are made in China now; Nova passes along some of the savings to us. Considering the Oneway was also $100 at the same period; now it is $121. The Nova is holding down the inflation.

Aside from the one that came with my 3520, I have a set like this that I got on sale a couple years ago for about $35. It has worked fine for me, and the assorted tips have been handy. My next live center will be the Oneway, though.

I have that set and use it constantly.. but mine was a little more than $35 at Woodcraft.. I switch it back and forth between my Jet 1442 and 1014.. works in either.

Get one from a machine tool source. They are made with hardened steel and last much longer. The economy live centers made for wood lathes are pitfully soft, regardless of price or make.

I have the Nova center and I like it very much. I think it is one of the best buys on the market like Gordon said. I have used the Oneway it is nice and also works very well, but I like the Nova just as well. It is cheaper, and in some ways I think it is more versatile.

Good Luck

Alan

Live center question

I got two of em at PSI for $19.00 ea an they work great.

Has anybody used this one before?The only reason I ask is that I bought these was due to a recomendation from folks that have been useing them for quite a while,but if they won't hold up then I can still return them.Plus I don't do this for a living and didn't want to spend 70 plus bucks on one if I didn't have to.

wow well i can get the oneway or teknatool or just get one that is good enough from PSI..........
I am not sure what all the attachments are going to used for even after reading the short descriptions in regard to the oneway and teknatool though..........Wondering if you would really use all the attachments that come with them..............PSI does have good bearing ones for $20 so wondering if all of you really use all those extras that come with it ????

Live center question

I ask that same question and was told that,no you probably wouldn't.I have only been turning for about 3 yrs and I couldn't justify them for my own use and thats why I went this route.I'm not knockin other folks suggestions as most of em probably forgot more about turnin than I will ever know,but for me I buy what suits my needs.I learned that leason when I first got into turning,I bought me a WHOLE set of turning tools,YEA,I use about 3 of em and the rest are good dust collectors :(

Ken.........

Well yes your right........when i first bought my Jet lathe i bought a set of turning tools from HF on a the idea i didnt know what i wanted and/or which tools to buy so i went with a set of HSS generic tools for turning.
They were a cheap set around $60 as i remember and your right....after using them to see what i like and didnt like most sit there now collecting dust. I still use the Gouges and i do like the 1/2 one because it has a wider flute than others and i just like the feel of the cut with it.....parting tools were to wide others were ok but have up graded to higher end tools for the ones i use most often..........Like you said i upgraded based on what my need is.................Thanks Dan