Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speaking of mortising---watzit?

speaking of mortising---watzit?

The item below was inherited from my father. But, first, to answer the unasked question: No, he never taught me anything about woodworking. Refused to. I learned to operate a broom and how to kill alley rats with bricks.
    Anyhow, I'm sure this is some kind of tool used for squaring corners for mortises. It is spring loaded and the black part is a square cutter. I've never used it, and it looks unused, but I presume you drill a hole then place this in the corners and give a whack to cut square. It is 7/8"X7/8". Any further enlightenment would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails watzit.jpg  

corner squaring chisel, used to square router-cut hinge mortises.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

You guessed right, you lign in up in the corner and smack it with a hammer, then voila, square corner. I use mine after I have routed out a section of whatever, then follow up with this corner chisel.
    Jim

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    The item below was inherited from my father. But, first, to answer the unasked question: No, he never taught me anything about woodworking. Refused to. I learned to operate a broom and how to kill alley rats with bricks.
    Anyhow, I'm sure this is some kind of tool used for squaring corners for mortises. It is spring loaded and the black part is a square cutter. I've never used it, and it looks unused, but I presume you drill a hole then place this in the corners and give a whack to cut square. It is 7/8"X7/8". Any further enlightenment would be appreciated.
    You got it Frank, its a gizmo for squaring off round corners. Probably the reason it looks unused is because it doesn't work very well - at least I could never get a good clean straight cut with mine, which is buried somewhere in my shop.

They are marginally useful as long as the parts actually align. Many do not. I received one as a present made by Lee Valley by a well meaning person one year. It happens to work very well. But by the time I've dug it out of the drawer, I would be done by using a chisel alone.

I did use it for squaring the corners for some hinge plates a few times if for no other reason to honor the giftee--it was used on their present the next year.

Take care, Mike
    Wenzloff & Sons Sawmakers

to the best of my knowledge when stanley introduced the hinge jig used with a router these little guys where included in the package so as to square the round cornered mortise for the square cornered hinges that where available at that time....now both the portercable and bosch jigs include one but they`re seldome used today `cause most door hinges have the corners clipped with a 1/4" radius so as to fit right off the bit.....i have one that lives with my door hangin` tools `cause even today most ball bearing door hinges and all custom ones i`ve seen have square corners and for this purpose alone the corner chisels work well.....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Thanks guys. And a bit of history too. I'll just keep it in the little drawer where it has been for the past six years. Who knows, one day I might need to clean up a corner. Nah....not me.

Now when I saw the title of this thread I thought you were going to show a picture of this mortising device.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...ml&catref=wd26

Now that is one anchient and useless toll to have hanging around. Heck I would not have room in my shop to store the thing. By the way, I to have one of those corner chisels...well somwhere in my shop anyway. Like the rest of you, I don't have a use for mine either.

They do work BUT you have to take them apart and hone the flat to a keen surface and then only use them for squaring the corners on hinge recesses on doors not in excess of 1/8" (something that is not eyeballed too well). If you mortice your hinges with a router and then you can clean up the corners but don't expect a precision job, just a quick and easy job (we all know what quick and easy does to a project) You can route the inside of faux rails & stiles and then clean out the corners but a chisel does a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    You got it Frank, its a gizmo for squaring off round corners. Probably the reason it looks unused is because it doesn't work very well - at least I could never get a good clean straight cut with mine, which is buried somewhere in my shop.
    Ditto here too. Mine just collects dust.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response