I finally got around to putting the final coats of finish on this piece I shamefully had 90% done for about 6 months. I guess I've got a problem with finishing projects - something about the finality of the errors - can't fix them anymore. Anyway - this is my project from my class at Kelly Mehler's school. My first walnut, hand cut dovetails, and resawing!. After I got it home I was on my own for the apron/base - so I went for broke and did the mitered/through dovetails so the profile flowed all around the piece.
The batton's are from some of the most beautiful curly (really curly) maple I've ever seen - they really strike off the walnut well. The finish is a couple of coats of tung oil, followed by 2x orange shellac, with 2X Waterlox Satin. I'll wax it in a couple of day. BTW: The inside is only finished with shellac - no finish on the cedar bottom.
Thanks for looking - That's me in the family room with Indy - he keeps us sheep in line