Walnut Blanket Chest

Norb Schmidt

I finally got around to putting the final coats of finish on this piece I shamefully had 90% done for about 6 months. I guess I've got a problem with finishing projects - something about the finality of the errors - can't fix them anymore. Anyway - this is my project from my class at Kelly Mehler's school. My first walnut, hand cut dovetails, and resawing!. After I got it home I was on my own for the apron/base - so I went for broke and did the mitered/through dovetails so the profile flowed all around the piece.

The batton's are from some of the most beautiful curly (really curly) maple I've ever seen - they really strike off the walnut well. The finish is a couple of coats of tung oil, followed by 2x orange shellac, with 2X Waterlox Satin. I'll wax it in a couple of day. BTW: The inside is only finished with shellac - no finish on the cedar bottom.

Thanks for looking - That's me in the family room with Indy - he keeps us sheep in line ;)
IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

Norb, that is really nice, has an "Old World Charm" to it you don't see much these days! :thumb:

What is the finish?

Oh, and BTW, you waited that 6 months so you could be sure the previous finish was REALLY cured before you put the last coat on.............right......? :rolleyes: ;) :D

Thanks for the look see!

Cheers!

Norb: Nice work. Looks good. I'm building a walnut toy/blanket chest now also. Just glued up the approx 2"X4" lid and wondering if it needs cross reinforcement.(as you did)I've been toying with not doing that. What's your thought? Again, nice looking project!!

Jerry, I think you need it unless its all quartersawn stock. Over the 2', just a little cup or warp will cause the lid to not sit right, and you'll see it from across the room. I haven't built but one of these, but historically craftsman have put them on. I don't think they need to be as large as mine, I just found a really nice piece of Maple and couldn't think about sending any of it to the scrap bin. Just be sure (if you use them) to screw them to the top with slotted or elongated holes cause the wood is going to move, even in the temperate mid-west.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Stuart - you know you just can't put a finish over oil until it cures ;) (I mean really dry, like a desert).

Norb

Nice Nice Nice!

Looks like the investment in the school really payed off.

That is some great looking work, you should be proud.

Thanks for the post

Jay