Euro hinges

How much weight will euro hinges support? I've got a pantry that has 11 1/2" x 40" double doors and I need to mount 2" deep spice racks to the inside of each of the double doors. Should I use 3 hinges for this application? Will two do the job?:huh::dunno:

ADDED information. The spice racks will be about 9"x18-20" tall

Last edited:
As I think that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked, I'd like to know, just to widen my ww knowledge what or how are euro hinges?

I problably know them but not under that name, hence my question.

Thanks

royall, i might go with 4 hinges on that application. i would use 3 without the spice racks. especially if this is a paying job.

think of it this way, 1 year from now, the client calls and says, "hey those doors with the spice racks came off the cabinet. i need you to fix it"

well the problem with that is, sure you could add a 4th hinge, but you drilled 3 holes probably top, bottom and center of the door. no good place to drill a 4th hole now. so what do you do? i guess you could add a 5th hinge.

not sure what these hinges cost you, my wholesale cost was about 2 bucks a hinge. 4 bucks goes along way to make me feel better about a door holding up for a client.

just my 2 cents, it's always possible the 3 hinges would hold fine.

chris

Thanks Royall.

As I thought I know them, thanks for posting the pic, now I know what you were talking about.

Showing my age I guess:eek: When concealed hinges first come out all I ever heard them called were euro because they came from the other side of the pond. I was always afraid to try them until I built my first set of cabinets.:eek: I thing they are so much easier to install and adjust than other types one could use.:thumb:

royall, i might go with 4 hinges on that application. i would use 3 without the spice racks. especially if this is a paying job.

think of it this way, 1 year from now, the client calls and says, "hey those doors with the spice racks came off the cabinet. i need you to fix it"

well the problem with that is, sure you could add a 4th hinge, but you drilled 3 holes probably top, bottom and center of the door. no good place to drill a 4th hole now. so what do you do? i guess you could add a 5th hinge.

not sure what these hinges cost you, my wholesale cost was about 2 bucks a hinge. 4 bucks goes along way to make me feel better about a door holding up for a client.

just my 2 cents, it's always possible the 3 hinges would hold fine.

chris

I don't think so....:rolleyes: before I use more than three, I'll make the spice rack shallower so the customer cant over load it:D:p

...As I thought I know them, thanks for posting the pic, now I know what you were talking about.

Just curious, Toni. What do you (Europeans) call them?

We genericly call them "Euro" hinges, since they originated in Europe for use in the 35mm cabinetry systems. Blum and Hafele are two of the bigger manufacturers for the ones sold here.

I have not expanded my world yet to using Euro hinges. I am still using Southern hinges. (AKA: Chicken wire or a flap cut from a tin can nailed to the door.) For those wanting to be in the know, yes they are concealed when the lights are off. :rofl:

Mark