First Door Done

Ron Roase

Well guys I got my heet back on in my shop so could hardly wait to get started on the actual building of a door.Oak is very expensive even at HD. So if I am going to spend around $25.00 I have to have a place for that door to be used. In my shop I have just the spot. It will be housing my trash can. I always like to have doors around that I have built to show some one so they can decide on style,intead of a picture. The fence and push block worked great as before.So after mitering all the corners,I put the tounges on all the left sides of each stile & rail.
Tounges are on all Left sides.jpg
Grooves are put on all right side of rails & stiles. I ave to then trim the tounges so they will fit properly.
Tounges are trimmed.jpg
And then dry fit to make sure all is OK
Dry fit.jpg
Next I made up a raised pannel (have done better) But into much of a hurry.
Raised pannel.jpg
Now the Glue up. I inserted 2 small rubber pieces in each stile & rail to keep Pannel centered and also to stop any chance of a rattle.
Glue Up.jpg
Now a little sanding and then its ready to stain.
Ready to Stain.jpg
Put a coat of oil base stain on it to dry over night.
Stained.jpg
Will put a clear coat on it and the mount it to my trash bin.
There is definatly a learning curve on this type of door construction. I used my miter saw for cutting the miters.... Think I will build a sled for the table saw for cuting the miters on the next one. Sled will have two runners and a
A shaped 45 at the nose with a built in stop for repete cuts.
First one was OK but much to slow, next one will go better:dunno::huh:
Oh well nothing ventured ....Nothing gained.

Ron, I dont understand why you are so down on yourself about this one. I have not and dont think I could do it and the result looks really great. You mastered it all pretty well by the looks of things. I like the solid look. :thumb:

Last edited:
Yes I agree with everyone else, Ron, that thing looks sweet! When making these doors, do you glue the panel in place also? ...or does it just kind of "free float"? Nice work!

hey ron how did you do the tongues on the frame clever idea for the strength factor of the mitres! nice progress shots as well

Larry : I use a tounge & groove set when I build cabinets (Groove is on the face frame and tounge is on the side of the carcass) I just put a smaller bearing on both of those cutters to use on the door cornners.

Thanks to all for the kind words. I may be one of the few with this type of door on my trash can.
Trash Can Door.jpg
I made up the miter sled today and It may help things go smoother.
Miter Sled.jpg
A simple block and squeese clamp will insure that all pieces are the same.
Miter Sled and stop.jpg
Now on to the next project.....What ever it may be..:wave::D:D:thumb: