More endless finishing questions

Jim Burr

What can we mix with what? I like the depth of the wipe-on poly, but friction polish has a great shine. Can arm-r-seal be used over different base finishes? Should shellac be used with anything else as a top/base finish? I'd really like to hear what mixes are working. I'm doing a pepper mill now that is going to a fundraiser and really want the finish perfect. What are some good combo's that work...please show what ya know too :D

for my pens and pencils, i've used a mix of 1/3 each of shellac, boiled linseed oil, and denatured alcohol, applied and buffed out while on the lathe. i think you could go with some sort of wax over it to add more protection.

Jim I basically use the General Finishes but first put on Seal-A-Cell (one coat) then top that with Arm-R-Seal. I also use Minwax Antique Oil. That is what I use on my salt/peppermills. It is not a real glossy shine like gloss poly or gloss lacquer. Another one that will give you the oil finish with a great gloss is Waterlox. If I want a oil finish with a gloss look I use Waterlox High gloss. I am attaching a picture of a communion bowl I did for our priest done in Waterlox High Gloss. To answer your question I have put poly over Antique oil after it has dried a few days but have never tried it friction polishes. I don't use friction polish on much of anything any more because like on peppermills it just won't last. Gives a good shine but anything handled much it doesn't last long.

Attachments

• Olive Wood Bowl 1.jpg
    Olive Wood Bowl 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 18
  • Olive Wood Bowl 2.jpg
    Olive Wood Bowl 2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The only thing you can't do is put lacquer over other finishes. Most anything else you can do. Shellac will seal an oil based product so that you can top coat with water based products. I've used lacquer as a sealer/base coat for nearly every other finish on the market. You just can't use other products and then use lacquer since it tends to go through all other layers to get to the wood.

The only thing you can't do is put lacquer over other finishes. Most anything else you can do. Shellac will seal an oil based product so that you can top coat with water based products. I've used lacquer as a sealer/base coat for nearly every other finish on the market. You just can't use other products and then use lacquer since it tends to go through all other layers to get to the wood.
Doug, I've had good success spraying lacquer over wipe-on finishes like Antique Oil or "tung oil" finishes, and also over sprayed shellac. I give the wipe-on stuff a few days to cure, then apply multiple coats of lacquer. Let that cure for a few days, and buff it out. Haven't had any problems with that combination yet. :dunno:

Dan, are you getting your shellac in flakes or pre-mixed? The flakes will raise a whole different bag-o-worms but I want to get into those to.:huh: